The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

GoDaddy Installation (31 posts)

1. bjtitus
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

I may be wasting my time here, but I was wondering whether anyone could explain to me how to install MU-Wordpress on a GoDaddy server.

It looks as if it simply doesn't install. After I enter all of the CORRECT information (including the mysql23.secureserver.net stuff) and click the install button, the page just goes blank (on index.php) and then, after about 5 minutes, the install reappears (after refreshing).

I may need to just forget about trying to install this and simply using RSS feeds to create a blog (I only need several blogs).

If this is going to be difficult to install, how soon is the packaged version going to be released? I LOVE wordpress, and I really appreciate all that you guys do to create such an easy blogging app. BTW (I have installed single Wordpress on the GoDaddy server)

2. andrewbillits
    Posted 18 years ago #

I never have been a fan of GoDaddy hosting. There are plenty of great companies out there that offer the same plan or better for a decent price. for example bluehost.com offers 250GB transfer, 10000MB Storage, and Cpanel for 7.95 USD a month.

3. Stapleton
    Posted 18 years ago #

I concur

4. andrewbillits
    Posted 18 years ago #

I dropped by GoDaddy's site and they have this little bit in their comparison chart:

250,000 MB (250 GB)

Since when does 250,000MB = 250GB? So either they are just plain morons or they are short changing you about 5-6GB. Lovely to know how smart they are eh?

5. raianoat
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

I agree. Bluehost is the way to go. I wrote about my experience with bluehost here.

http://www.tivoblog.com/archives/2005/01/06/new-host-bluehostcom/

good luck!

6. downdog
    Posted 17 years ago #

Ok I've been reading every post on the godaddy topic. I have a big problem and I may have the answer but I would like advice on if I am correct.

Install went fine, everyhting looks good. But I want my users to be about to post their own blog. Is it godaddy that will not allow wpmu to sub domain the new blogs?

If yes how can I change this, godaddy says it's me I say it's them.

I'm on the linux economy plan, should I go dedicated?

7. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

It's not you, it's them.

An Apache configuration file has to be edited, which a shared user wouldn't have access to, but the edit only applies to your account. Without this edit, subdomains will not work.

If you can add DNS records then that part doesn't fall on their head, but if you can't then they have to add one of those as well.

If you can afford a dedicated box (you can find a self-managed one starting at about $100 a month), then that might be your best bet.

An intermediate would be a VPS/VDS, or maybe Media Temples grid server.

8. stewdio
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm with lunabyte on this one, but I think it's BOTH GoDaddy and you, (no offence meant)

GoDaddy, simpy does not have VHOST support, certainly not in a shared domain space. WPMU is not comapatible with the GoDaddy service if they are your hosting provider.

I use surpass hosting, 50 USD per year. 50gb storage, 2000gb transfer, 5 add-on domains, unlimited everything else (sub-domain, sql, ftp, email, etc)

Yes thats for real, and thats not a typo. Theyhave 800 GB plans for reasonable prices, although it's shared, not dedicated or VPS.

Go there. (yes I'm biased, been there forever)

http://www.surpasshosting.com

9. downdog
    Posted 17 years ago #

THx I was pretty sure it was not solely me..lol..no offence taken.

10. adamrbrown
    Posted 17 years ago #

I use WPMU on GoDaddy. It is fully compatible. These issues have nothing to do with GoDaddy.

I also run the Linux Economy plan.

You should know that the economy plan does not allow you to set up wildcard subdomains. That means you need to use subdirectories, not subdomains, with WPMU. If you want to use wildcard subdomains, you need to upgrade your hosting plan or switch hosts. That is the only limitation you face with the economy plan.

You should also know that a new .htaccess file won't be recognized by the godaddy server for up to an hour (although it usually takes only a couple minutes). I think they do this to save server speed, since looking for .htaccess files that aren't there could slow things down. But once it's been found by their servers, everything should work fine.

11. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

If you can't run subdomains, then it's not fully compatible, now is it?

So, the issue IS with GoDaddy. Because the question, (at least the one asked this month, 13 months after the last one) was all about subdomains, which GoDaddy won't allow.

/me -- Avoid em, and find something better.

12. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Adam states that you have to upgrade to be able to run subdomains.

Gotta admit though that I'm not a GoDaddy fan but that's more from a system admin position and their lack of respect for RFCs.

That and Bob Parson's being a total stuck up little prick who thinks the internet must revolve around him. :)

13. downdog
    Posted 17 years ago #

OK thank you very much for the advise. Godaddy is toast for wpmu. Tried out surpasshosting.com and was not happy their either. Took 4 hours just to get an account. I'll go have a look at bluehost and see if I will be able to do what I want there. Oh ya, just for someone else that may have the same question I also checked out netfirms. Spoke with their support, they had NO clue what I was talking about. Just a warning, if the support can't answer questions on sub-domains vs. directories maybe you should stay away.

14. downdog
    Posted 17 years ago #

Bluehost wont even load. I understand that there is probably a hosting thread but.. Here is what I want to do. I want my users to be able to create their own accounts and post there own blogs. This can't be that hard to do. Can anyone recommend a reliable host???

15. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

A small orange, or Media Temple seem popular.

16. justforthis1
    Posted 17 years ago #

input on hostmonster?

17. stealthgear
    Posted 17 years ago #

godaddy sucks. I am disappointed that I can't use the subdomains. The more stuff I install the more stuff I find out.

18. wild26
    Posted 16 years ago #

anyone else have a hosting suggestion? it'd be nice to have a list of hosts that users can say were conducive to successful installs. and by "nice" I mean, I want my own MU running by the weekend, hee haa.

19. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

ServerBeach.com
    SoftLayer.com

MediaTemple.net
    ASmallOrange.com

20. wild26
    Posted 16 years ago #

that's a list.

how about examples of MU sites installed on those hosts?

21. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

"anyone else have a hosting suggestion? it'd be nice to have a list of hosts..."

Ask for a list, get a list.

Users have reported success on those above. I've personally used 3 of them at one point for various deals. Those being the first 3.

Other users have reported the same in the numerous hosting threads. Then again, a search for recommend hosting in the search function noted in the sticky thread would tell you all about it.

22. wild26
    Posted 16 years ago #

one of the great things about the WP community is its profound ability to help the newbie use the search function.

thanks,
    Thomas

23. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

One of the andrews also keeps a list of sites running WPMU, but again, you'll have to search because I haven't memorized his address off the top of my head.

24. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

It's stickied within the Your WPMU subforum.

25. ziera
    Posted 16 years ago #

I think we need to get a virtual dedicated hosting on godaddy's hosting in order to get it working, since we need to lay our hand on the httpdconf. Or if there are economy hosting out there that let's us mess around with the httpdconf?that'd be the best alternative...

26. rajeshatbuzz
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi Friends,

I have Deluxe hosting plan in Godaddy server.

I have following scenario for installation of WordPress Mu.

1. I have domain http://www.mysite.com installed, which is alias to ROOT_FOLDER/
    2. Also, I have installed Wordpress Mu to ROOT_FOLDER/blog so my blog link is http://www.mysite.com/blog
    3. Installation and all went fine and it’s working with admin access.
    4. But it’s NOT working when I try to create new blog and new user. It’s showing FILE NOT FOUND …Could you please help me to fix.

I found lots of blog is talking about this issue but without solution…

27. Klark0
    Posted 15 years ago #

Did you follow the readme ?

28. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Considering the poster's reply in another thread is "could u plz let me know how to Enable the wildcard subdomains according to the readme file." I'd say probably not. :)

Isn't there instructions on GoDaddy's help wiki for mu?

29. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Gotta admit that even I would go with GoDaddy on this one.

And that's with my rather poor opinion of them.

30. bdkoehn
    Posted 15 years ago #

You have to have an upgraded account and a dedicated IP - after that you can follow these instructions:
    http://help.godaddy.com/article/5072

About this Topic

• Started 18 years ago by bjtitus
  • Latest reply from andrea_r