The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

My Mu: Real Sports Bloggers Dot Com (22 posts)

1. demonicume
    Posted 16 years ago #

introducing Real Sports Bloggers

I never officially introduced my site as it was never where I wanted it to be. I came in with no real PHP knowledge and I almost gave up and went back to Joomla many times. I've tried Elg, Drupal and every other blogging system that allowed for multiple blogs. I even tried some paid solutions. Wordpress Mu is an awesome platform and my only regret is that I started cobbling my site together before I'd taken a single programming class. I am specifically someone who should not have undertaken a Mu site. But my site is also an example of what one can do with hardwork and tenacity.

Included in my site are hacks from all the heavies in this forum. I want to thank D. Mike, Lunatype, Andrea, Suelman, Andrew, Mr Henry and Baf for all the help they've given me. You prolly didn't know it, but I've been paying very close attention to the advise you guys give. i've done my best to incorporate all the nice hacks you've donated... especially Andrea (recent posts CSS) and Luna (main site only plugins and DB advice). i know i whine about the attitude of the forum, but it's only because i love Mu so much and i know that my contribution isn't as much as I'd like it to be. It's the soldier in me, I just want everyone to work as a team for the greater good.

so finally, my daily error logs are reasonably clear, my theme is where i like it, my scripts all work and my site has some decent speed to it. Realsportsbloggers is a completely free site for buds of mine from all over the world. I met some while i was serving in Afghanistan, and some others when we were all dumped from a paid sports site site because of our comments. Mu allows me to provide a quality blog site for my friends and family. they join for free and i don't put up ads. Everyone here is also welcome. my site, however, isn't for th sensitive. everyone knows one another, so no punches get pulled.

thanks again to everyone that contributed. nothing really complex about my site, but if you see something you want, email me and i'll get it to you.

demonicume - aka Curt

ps... next, i will work on the domain mapping technique.

2. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

"I am specifically someone who should not have undertaken a Mu site."

I disagree, respectfully of course.

I would actually go as far to say that you should be a fine example instead. An example of how someone with little to no knowledge can put in the hard work to learn, and put forth an honest service.

A result of this can be seen in your site by the trained eye, and especially from what your site started out as, and to now what it has become.

The only barrier is a refusal to learn, and an attempt to solely rely on everyone else to make your site. A group of which you are not a part.

In closing, hold your head high, and keep your nose to the books to continue learning. As your site shows, the effort is rewarding and provides knowledge that can last a lifetime.

(P.S. keep holding the faith for my Hornets!)

3. Farms
    Posted 16 years ago #

Great work, looks really nice...

BTW, I know what you mean about 'should not have...' ;)

4. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

*sniff* I feel so proud...

Well done. I also started out not knowing much, so you're in good company now. :)

5. demonicume
    Posted 16 years ago #

*sits waiting for Andrea to spoon feed him domain mapping tutorial.

:-)

6. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

*snort*

I make my kids do their own laundry, you know... ;P

7. politicalbear
    Posted 16 years ago #

Your site is great. It looks smooth, almost like you didn't have to work at it. However, I know that isn't true.

Great Site!

8. suleiman
    Posted 16 years ago #

Curt, I had the opportunity to take a look at your site not too long ago and remember remarking about how far it had come from where it began. As luna pointed out, you are probably the prime example of a good Mu'er (mooer?).

I started out with little to no knowledge about most of this stuff and it's amazing how setting up my community has helped me move mountains in subjects I never even dreamed of wrapping my tiny brain around.

As andrea pointed out you are in good company friend. And I hope others take strong example from your hard work, dedication, and decidedly persistent attitude.

Keep up the good work!

-Suleiman (p.s. as a side note it is Suleiman btw, and not "Suelman" which has the most unfortunate effect of sounding like a sweatshop owner's last name ;)

9. demonicume
    Posted 16 years ago #

Suleiman, my bad on your name. but really, i wish i owned a sweat shop.

thanks for all the tips you've supplied. i used you avatar, hack to death of course, and your BBpress integration tutorial.

thanx.

10. sully2
    Posted 16 years ago #

demonicume...

I am curious about the code for your newest blogs...

Any idea on code as well on how to list all users??

11. demonicume
    Posted 16 years ago #

that depends on how you want to list them. there are at least 4 different plugins at WPMUDEV which list things. hacking any of them should work. or you cna always try the list-all plugin.

12. sully2
    Posted 16 years ago #

Demonicume,

I hear ya... I tried that, and I posted this twice but nobody responded to me... see if you have any idea...thanks

read through all the forums on this...and nothing helped for this error.

I placed the plug-in list-all in the multiplugin folder that is the plugin... http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/List-All

I have created a static page with the help of Andrea (thanks) The theme is disabled for other users so I could keep it a static page.

I have two other accounts setup of course for test accounts.

I pasted the code into the static page, which is the index.php file in the theme that is disabled for others users.
    <?php list_all_wpmu_blogs('100', 'name', '<p>', '</p>', 'updated'); ?>

And all it shows is my Admin account, how come it does not show the other two accounts or users...

http://upstateelite.com/wpmu/
    you will see at the bottom another test for listing all the blogs, only the admin is showing up.

13. indojepang
    Posted 16 years ago #

all i want to do is list all blogs with picture(avatar) in it.
    could you help me about this?
    It's been months crawling in here searching it..
    Thank u Demonicume.. glad u make it

14. jwesseldyke
    Posted 16 years ago #

You have a great site here, congrats!

You reference in one of these posts a bbPress integration tutorial by Suleiman... I'm trying not to be lazy, but my search through the forums has come up empty...

Do you (or anyone else) have the link to it?

15. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

It's not suleiman's but I wrote this the other day:

http://wpmututorials.com/how-to/integrating-bbpress/

16. jwesseldyke
    Posted 16 years ago #

works for me... I'm not particular about who writes the help I need... I'm trying to learn more than enough to be dangerous... :)

Thanks...

17. demonicume
    Posted 15 years ago #

We've added a new feature over at Real Sports Bloggers - FANTASY SPORTS! Generally the big sites charge for this, but I'm offering free leagues - with no ads or anything - to all my buds. Because of all the help we've received from here folks here, our site is self-sufficient. I aim to make it up to y'all by given away free commissioner leagues. here are some of the features.

Real time Transactions
    Online Draft War room for each team
    Scoring versatility and customization
    Live/Daily stat feeds
    Commissioner can charge a fee per team(16 teams per league, $2 extra for every team over 16)
    Or Commissioner can choose to make it a free league.
    Commissioner can choose to charge per trade, or not.
    Customizable Scoring, Live Results, Keeper/Dynasty Leagues, Custom Logos & Commentary, Player Ranking, Info & Analysis, League Chat & Messageboard, IDP, Top Players, Average Draft Analysis, YouTube, Betting Lines, Value Rank, Multi-Conferences, Coaching Efficiency Analysis, Coach/Team of the Week, Power Rankings, Sound Files for Team/League, Smack Board, Multiple Layout Choices.
    And plenty of tools to customize the crap out of your league.

go here to view our site. You can join our league and play along. the draft is tonite.

If you plan to take advantage of my offer, go here. Email me, and I'll process the free transaction.

once again, thanks guys!

18. billdennis5
    Posted 15 years ago #

You see, THIS is the kinda homepage I'm wanting. What sort of coding are you doing to generate the avatars? How are these posts from member blogs generated?

19. demonicume
    Posted 15 years ago #

email me and i'll send you the code. there's also a premium plugin that works better than mine.

20. billdennis5
    Posted 15 years ago #

email sent.

21. richardxthripp
    Posted 15 years ago #

Awesome job! I'm in the same boat as you. Tweaking WordPress MU is a great way to learn PHP, because you have to code versatile solutions that work across many blogs, and you gain immediate progress because you're standing on the shoulders of greats. Keep plugging away.

22. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Lookin' good there Curt. :)

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by demonicume
  • Latest reply from andrea_r