The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

How much Mysql Database space wanted to run a wpmu with about 5000blogs? (9 posts)

1. xoonsmail
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi, is there any one can help me with this question....

I am trying to start a wpmu powered blog network, but before that i want to know how much mysql space wanted to run about 5000 blogs? Please give my an idea of this issue...

Thank you in advance

2. Konstan
    Posted 16 years ago #

I have a little over 2k blogs and I am at about 750mb of database space. So I guess 1500-2000 is a good figure for a 5k network. Will depend on the usage of the blogs tho.

3. quenting
    Posted 16 years ago #

depends a lot on average activity, something around 1GB per 1000 users if around 40% of them are actually "active".

4. bloggus
    Posted 16 years ago #

Isn't that hard to say, since the database only get larger in time and usually not smaller?

5. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

I would split them and go multidb as well.

6. Mattz
    Posted 16 years ago #

Andrea,

Isn't it easier to split this later on when there really are going to be perfomance issues ?

Because you don't know exactly where the bottleneck is... I think that starting with one DB is good enough.

7. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Have you ever tried to split a db with a few thousand tables on a live site?

8. Mattz
    Posted 16 years ago #

Andrea,

I read something about it some time ago here on the forum. A blog company splitted their MU install after some time in a multi-DB install to scale, and that went quite fine.

Or do you mean a DB per blog ?

9. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

No, I meant splitting a large db with thousands of tables (whch is what happens when you get a few hundred blogs going) into a multi-db setup. Yes, I've done it and yes it went okay.

Given the choice, I'd rather do it ahead of time though. It'll split the load & processing, and you won't have as many performacing issues to deal with as soon.

1 GB per 1,00 users does sound about right though. It's a start, but all that in one db gets rather unwieldy to manage.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by xoonsmail
  • Latest reply from andrea_r