The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Multiple MU Sites off a Single MU User-Table (9 posts)

1. pipelineae
    Posted 16 years ago #

I want to run several different MU-based sites (including root-installed forum) that all access and use a single MU user table. Upon project completion and implementation, all sites will run off the same dedicated server.

Basically, I need to run multiple MU-Based sites where users only have to sign-up and login to one for access to all, but the blogs and all other data are different across all installs.

Can it be done, and if so, how?

(Yes, I have used the search but I couldn't find anything. Maybe it was the google search function of this site, but I just couldn't find anything specific to this.

2. Trent
    Posted 16 years ago #

What is the reasoning for having the multiple installs? If you setup the Multi-Site Manager plugin on your site you can have several domains all in the same install. It allows each domain to have their own settings and sign-up for new blogs. Since all the users and tables for all domains are in the same DB, there is no duplication.

Just curious :)

Trent

3. pipelineae
    Posted 16 years ago #

How does the plugin work? Below is a list of what I need the system to achieve:

- One username accesses all domains
    - Blog are unique only to domains, and not across the entire system. ie: blog.example1.com is different to blog.example2.com
    - Different themes and plugins activated on each domain
    - Cookie created by login works across all domains (I know I may have to hack the source for this, no worries)

If the plugin can do all that, then I'll look into it, if it can't then how do I go about it?

Cheers.

4. pipelineae
    Posted 16 years ago #

I've downloaded the plugin, and activated it and am currently playing around with it. It has little to no documentation, and google returns basically no guides on how to install or use it, so I don't even know how to get it working properly yet, let alone whether it has the functionality I need.

I need a cloned mu site where the users are shared but the blogs aren't, allowing the users from one domain create a blog on the other without re-registering.

Someone please tell me if I'm looking in the wrong place for this..

5. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yeah, that's the one. It does it.

Also, go back to the main forum page. See the sticky post about searching? It has the correct search link (ie; not google). Hunt down "domain mapping".

6. themesbycal
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm using Mu on localhost for testing and have a question about this multiple domain stuff. I can't really test this stuff too well on my localhost, so thought I'd ask.

Can each domain have it's own theme or design? I mean does each domain use the "home" theme? And if they all do, is there a way to change that?

7. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

You cna change each blog's theme, yes. Have to go into the backend of each and pick a new one though. Each blog is set up to use the default one... by default. :)

8. themesbycal
    Posted 16 years ago #

cool, thanks.

Sorry to be a bother but I have one more question....

Is there any advantage to having multiple Mu installs rather than doing it this way? Basically in the way of upgrading Mu or having to accomplish a load-balance scenario with several domains and many blogs...

I ask just because there's really no turning back if you take this route. I don't expect to have a million blogs but it would be nice to know I'm making the right decision.

9. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

If you're dealing with a lot of domains, then yeah, it's the way to go.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by pipelineae
  • Latest reply from andrea_r