The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

other question re multiple domains for a single blog (6 posts)

1. gdeconto
    Posted 16 years ago #

in WPMU install, I have been able to successfully setup an existing blog with its own domain name (i.e. turning joe.mywpmu.com into myblog.joe.com). I did this using the basic methods (ie setup a new site with the target domain, move Joes blog to that site, etc) discussed in http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=2076

my question is:

what happens if I want to add ever more domains to that same blog (ie have myblog.jane.com point to the same blog)? since we can only have a single domain per site, and a blog can only belong to a single site, a blog can only be referenced by a single domain. I am not sure how to proceed without hacking the core code

the question began when someone asked me to find out what happens if I need tp assign a domain to a blog but ALSO retain the original blog URL (ie have both joe.mywpmu.com and myblog.joe.com available. the conversation then went on to having multiple domains for a single blog.

any help/ideas welcome and appreciated.

2. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Ever hear of domain parking or domain mapping?

3. Trent
    Posted 16 years ago #

The Multi-Site Manager plugin helps to get a domains on their own blogs. My question to others is this. It is "really" simple to get one domain going, but how do you park more than one domain name on that same blog? I really didn't want to play around with moving them over in the "blogs" screen where you can move blogs on a live site if that is the case.

So is there an easy way to put say domain2.com on top of the domain1.com that I already have running using the plugin?

Trent

4. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

It's quite possible, actually.

5. Trent
    Posted 16 years ago #

Then I guess I will dig a little deeper on the paths and such.

Trent

6. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'll have to expand a little bit.

This plugin won't cut it, but a minor core edit can make it happen.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by gdeconto
  • Latest reply from lunabyte