The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

LAN hosted wpmu (10 posts)

1. mattstarkie
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hello

I wondered if anybody could help me.

I look after a large schools IT and we are looking to set up our own wordpress mu social networking site.

The wordpress is set up fine in terms of the basic image. We use apache, php and mysql.

It is hosted on a good spec cleanly isntalled XP Professional.

The problem is is that when new users sign up they dont receive their activation e-mails. Im not sure if their is an email server built in or do i need to install one. Can anyone make any reccommendations?

Can anyone see a problem with the social networking intranet working on our network. There will be about 400 users. All based on that machine using internet explorer and a fixed LAN ip address to access it.

Any advice grately received
    Thanks,
    Matt Starkie

2. bschwarting
    Posted 16 years ago #

matt, you will probably struggle running it in windows. it was designed to run on linux with sendmail being the mail server.

3. mattstarkie
    Posted 16 years ago #

is there not work around for it at all that nobody knows. would an installation of fedora linux instead of windows work?

thanks for your reply

matt

4. bschwarting
    Posted 16 years ago #

i'm running fedora core 6, i'd recommend it.

5. demonicume
    Posted 16 years ago #

people still use internet explorer?

6. MrBrian
    Posted 16 years ago #

WPMU by default is meant for sendmail on linux, and windows does not come with a mailserver at all. You will need an SMTP server and you can set the smtp server in php.ini (windows only). Read how here http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.mail.php#ini.smtp

Or you can use pretty much any distro of linux with php,mysql,apache,sendmail installed.

7. bloggus
    Posted 16 years ago #

demonicume:
    Probably 90% of your visitors. :)

mattstarkie:
    It actually works fine on Windows, but you have to have php/mysql installed properly, and also a rewrite engine.

8. mattstarkie
    Posted 16 years ago #

hello
    can anyboyd reccommend a smtp server that will work with windows?

and also when you refere to the rewrite enginge are you referring to the mod_rewrite changes you make as part of the installation or something else?

thanks
    matt

9. PhoenixRises
    Posted 16 years ago #

There isnt really any SMTP server I would recommend for XP (tbh I wouldnt recommend XP as a server for anything). However, a quick google search comes up with plenty of possibilities.

As for URL rewriting, if your using apache, look up mod_rewrite.

10. bloggus
    Posted 16 years ago #

I wouldn't recommend runing XP either. At least a server version of Windows and then you have to know how to make php/mysql run on that one properly.

For mailservers MailEnable has a free version if you just want it to send out email. It is enought.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by mattstarkie
  • Latest reply from bloggus