The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Having Dramas with Multi-Site Manager Plugin (7 posts)

1. pipelineae
    Posted 16 years ago #

I've read a lot about this plugin, and I'm not sure whether it's more trouble than it's worth. From what I can gather, it fails to correctly edit/add the sitemeta tables into the database upon site creation, correct?

The problem I have is as follows (and this happens no matter what template I use for the 2nd site). To save confusion, I'll use the file name, such as page.php or search.php to describe a page.
    Site 1 - Works perfectly with all pages, backend and frontend
    Site 2 - index.php, page.php, search.php (ie: main page, about page and search pages) work, 404 and single pages redirect to wp-signup for a new blog, but get stuck in an inifite 'waiting for/loading' loop before it loads.

I've tried a lot of stuff I've found with google, and on these forums, but I can't seem to find anything that fixes this dilemma. Any help is much appreciated.

2. erick_paper
    Posted 16 years ago #

The best is to NOT use plugins that're in beta mode (this one is in alpha by my experience).

3. diesel12
    Posted 16 years ago #

Erick: any idea what it might cost to get this plugin completed so that it's bullet proof? I would love to pay for it and then make it available to everyone since I'm not capable of building it myself....

4. jackiedobson
    Posted 16 years ago #

Best bet would probably be to direct your question to the author of the plugin.

5. Trent
    Posted 16 years ago #

Personally don't really have any issues with the Multi-Site Manager plugin as all it really does is create a new entry in wp_site, create the new tables in wp_blogs and then copy the entries from the wp_sitemeta from a working site and new new entries for the new site it created.

That being said, here are some pretty great directions on doing it manually based of drmike's thread on "Solution: Domain Mapping" here in the forums.

I have used both methods and sometimes both in conjunction and not having major problems. I would imagine though if you have "lots and lots" of domains, it would be better to use the manual method as the plugin without alterations might eventually choke, but I haven't seen it yet.

Trent

6. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

It chokes on multiple use for a large amount of domains. Heck, even after a few it craps out.

I really, really want to fix it. Gotta squeeze it in our schedule though.

7. Trent
    Posted 16 years ago #

Show me a "donate" button andrea_r and I'll donate for this fix :)

Trent

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by pipelineae
  • Latest reply from Trent