The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

What happens if my wpmu becomes popular and be a competitor to wordpress.com? (10 posts)

1. 19leo19
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hello,

I was wondering what happens if my wpmu becomes popular and be a competitor to wordpress.com? Trying to say what if I get ads will this be legal?

Please let me know?

2. RCB-IT-Solutions
    Posted 16 years ago #

Well I don't think that is likley, no offense, but it's not. If you do though, more power to you. You can do anything you want with WPMU as long as it dosen't violate the GPL license. Now i'm now lawyer and I don't know alot about GPL but it's open source you could do pretty much anything. If you are serious you should consult a lawyer who can look (or perhaps knows) the GPL license and can tell you in plain english what the restrictions are.

3. demonicume
    Posted 16 years ago #

i'll prolly have to hack it and hold your database hostage until you sign over part of your ad revenue.

//kidding
    //kinda
    //whats your password. you can trust me

4. RCB-IT-Solutions
    Posted 16 years ago #

what kinda poor hacker are you that you need your target to tell you their password?

5. ssbansal
    Posted 16 years ago #

I think he was joking?

6. diesel12
    Posted 16 years ago #

tough crowd as usual in here. :)

7. hhuskies
    Posted 16 years ago #

lol, yeah, tough crowd for demonicume....:-)

But honestly - I don't think it could happen that someone would create a blog host to the popularity of Wordpress. That market is just too saturated and too wide. But I am always up to be proven wrong though! :-)

If you are just starting a WPMU site - I would look into finding a niche that doesn't have a blog host, and then go for that niche. You would have better success in that case.

As for legal issues, I think RCB is right. Popularity of your site shouldn't have anything to do with using a GPL system.

8. jackiedobson
    Posted 16 years ago #

Popularity of your site shouldn't have anything to do with using a GPL system.

Unless SCO makes a comeback.

9. hhuskies
    Posted 16 years ago #

True. :-)

10. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 16 years ago #

19leo19 - if it gets that big, hopefully you'll contribute back to the community and everyone benefits! :)

About this Topic