The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

MuPlugins and Plugins folder (6 posts)

1. carnold
    Posted 16 years ago #

Using 1.3.3. I understand that the muplugins folder is not for all blogs and the plugins folder is for all blogs. But i have some plugins that i want to use in the muplugins folder and these plugins are not a single file. So is there a way to get a folder to work in muplugins?

2. Trent
    Posted 16 years ago #

The /mu-plugins/ folder is for "all" blogs and needs a single file to execute (not in a folder). The /plugins/ folder is for plugins that users can activate in the Plugins tab on a plugin by plugin basis. It can have "folders" and not individual files.

I think you have it backwards. If you have a plugin you want in the /mu-admin/ you will need to take the main plugin file outside the folder and just make sure all the references to that file are changed with all other files.

Trent

3. carnold
    Posted 16 years ago #

If the /mu-plugins/ folder is for "all" blogs how come i can only see that plugin for that blog. I just logged into my blog which is not that "main" blog and i do not see any of the mu-plugins that are in use for the main blog. I might have it backwards but i see, in my blog setup, the opposite of what you said. My plugins folder is for all blogs and mu-plugins is for 1 blog. And i see what you are saying about taking the main plugin out of the folder and changing all the references. Thanks

4. Trent
    Posted 16 years ago #

Nope, the /mu-plugins/ is for "all" blogs and anything in that folder is automatically installed and unless you (site owner) removes it from that directory, it will be auto-installed.

The /plugins/ directory is the only one where the plugin "shows up" in the plugins tab.

For instance, if you put a plugin like "change Blog URL" in the /mu-plugins/ folder, it will not show up in the Plugins tab since it is already "auto installed" and will show up to configure it in the Options tab.

Anything you put in the /mu-plugins/ folder is automatically activated and installed on every single blog.

Anything you put in the /plugins/ directory shows up on "all" blogs as well, but needs to be activated on a case by case basis in the Plugins tab.

Trent

5. Trent
    Posted 16 years ago #

Just another note. Some plugins are for the "site admin" only and even though you install it in the /mu-plugins/ folder, it only shows up in the dashboard if the user is the Site Admin.

Just another clarification ;)

Trent

6. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

And I'll point out that there are many plguins for the mu-plugins folder that do *NOT* have any options that will show up in the backend menu system.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by carnold
  • Latest reply from andrea_r