The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Design help: Political Bear Blogs (12 posts)

1. politicalbear
    Posted 16 years ago #

Ok, I have installed wpmu, rebuilt my site around it, updated my sites look http://politicalbear.com, and pestered a few of you.

However, I have decided that although my mother tells me its looks good ( :) isn't she great) that I need design critiques.

Color is my big one. Originally, my site was deemed to look old (I had a lot of chrome and flashing and cheap animation) I took that out, simplified, and at least I like the results. My goal was yahoo.com (I like to subtle color) meets a wp- magazine style themes (thanks Andrea_r). And I am a website newbie, so it has been touch and go at times.

Questions:

What do you like/dislike/hate? (hate is probably the most important-not everyone will like it, but hopefully a large percentage will not hate it)

*Suggestions of how to change* ?

Would you blog on Political Bear if you stumbled on it?

2. MrBrian
    Posted 16 years ago #

The text is "scratchy" and the color scheme is.. well there isn't one. To be honest, it's pretty ugly. It also doesn't look good on my huge resolution either :(.

3. politicalbear
    Posted 16 years ago #

I like honesty.

Don't know how to solve those issues, but I will definitely note them, and try to make them better as I move forward.

4. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Also, there really isn't a clear definition of content within the layout. It looks like it was just thrown up there and placed wherever.

Honestly, find a theme out there that has a nice layout, and then modify the heck out of it to fit what you want.

Also, as a note, the home page has 77 validation errors as well.

5. politicalbear
    Posted 16 years ago #

Now those I can look into.

I have been fighting the theme thing, but the more I fight it the more I understand.

77....eww.

Thanks lunabyte.

6. demonicume
    Posted 16 years ago #

its not that it's ugly, it just has too much going on with really small fonts. kinda like looking at a newspaper from a distance. the content is great, you just need to simplify it all. now-a-days, people expect you to make your site look like google...

7. reggordon
    Posted 16 years ago #

link dead for me. I found this handy little place the other day
    http://www.colorcombos.com/index.html

Handy for me as ive got no eye for colour at all.

8. politicalbear
    Posted 16 years ago #

@reggordon
    Great site. That is exactly what I need. I can sure match a bowtie to a suit, but website colors.....I just know I like blue. (and gradient :) )

@demonicume
    Thanks. I will definitely makes the fonts bigger. I read a lot of newspapers, so I know what you mean. I also have some ideas for moving things around like you suggest.

Thanks for all the feedback. I was begining to think I might have just created the perfect website, since this crowd wasn't get back to me. :)

9. DailyTestimony
    Posted 16 years ago #

the link brings you to http://politicalbear.com,/ you want to go to http://politicalbear.com/ the forum interpreted the comma in the OP as part of the URL so you need to remove that then it will work.

I like to see its not a simple red and blue layout. But it might be too far from a politics type theme, I dosn't seem like a politics site. I don't know if thats what you are going for though or not.

10. mrhenry
    Posted 16 years ago #

It's starting to look better, but one thing that caught my eye is the bright red text on the navigation bar. I feel that it's pretty hard to read and also hurts my eyes... Good luck with your site.

11. MrBrian
    Posted 16 years ago #

Looks much better on my ginormous monitor now :). Still looks a bit like the text was created in mspaint. Try a different font and use anti-aliasing for the text. Give the text some shadows or outline, or different colors. I like that you're doing the whole theme yourself, but i can't say the design skills are that good :D

12. politicalbear
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks MrBrian. Do you mean the body text, or do you mean the text on the buttons? If you mean body text would you point me towards a website for a tutorial........if it is the buttons... :) Yes they look like mspaint, although I used fireworks- wasting the benefits of the program. Also, yes my design skills needs a little help. Thanks you very much for helping.

One more thing MrBrian, just how big is this ginormous monitor?

Daily: Politics Theme= Stuffy/Flag heavy? I am going for interesting and simple.....What would you suggest to make it more political?

Thanks again for everyone's comments they have been very useful. Now I just need users. Anyone want to give up a couple of theirs? ;)

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by politicalbear
  • Latest reply from politicalbear