The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Will the new WP 2.5 be integrated with WP Mu soon? (21 posts)

1. freshestnoob
    Posted 16 years ago #

I just dont want to install and have to upgrade soon again. And thats because of the massive changes in WP 2.5 especially in the dashboard area.

So, I want to know when it will be integrated so I can decide if I should wait for the new release or install WP MU 1.3.3 now.

Thanks in advance.

2. freshestnoob
    Posted 16 years ago #

Is it possible for the Wp 2.5 integration (I presume it'll be WP MU 1.5) to break the popular themes on wp 1.3.3.

3. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 16 years ago #

freshestnoob - soon. I'm working on it now. Not sure if it'll break themes though.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

freshestnoob - if you mean the popular themes plugin. I have no idea right off. Can't see how it would though.

5. freshestnoob
    Posted 16 years ago #

by popular themes, I meant the themes that normally work on WPMU.

Reading through the forum. I notice code changes causes some themes not to work anymore. So, thats why I asked.

Donncha, while you are at it, you could create a module that allows the admin to reset themes to a particular theme in case themes get broken during upgrade. (I dont know if there is already. I'm pretty new to moooooo.)

6. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

If the theme breaks, it resets to default (wp-content/themes/default/) by, well, default.

Thus far, I haven't seen anything that would break a 2.3 theme specifically, unless there was something deprecated previously (that was then removed) which shouldn't have been in there to begin with in a 2.3 theme.

Essentially, all the basics still work, etc. Now admin side stuff, that's a bit different for sure. Many changes back there.

Of course, the limited stuff I've kept up with in testing nightlies every now and then (2.4, which became 2.5, etc). So there could be something that I've missed. I've only got a dozen or so themes (2.3 versions) that I have in there to look at. But it's a decent sampling.

Honestly, themes look to be the least of worries for this upcoming batch.

7. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

This troll is getting really old.

"Thus far, I haven't seen anything that would break a 2.3 theme specifically, unless there was something deprecated previously (that was then removed) which shouldn't have been in there to begin with in a 2.3 theme."

Agreed, because lunabyte *is indeed correct* in this. The only thing I've seen break in themes due to an upgrade is depreciated tags, and that's easy to fix.

I've seen this asked a lot actually - people don't want to upgrade in case it break their (sometimes custom) theme. I don't get it. And yes, I develop themes.

8. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

You can always test locally (which you should be doing anyway), then sort out problems before they become live.

You can even test out themes on the release candidate of 2.5, just as a quick check.

My best guess, which may not always be right, based on past history is that it will be a few weeks before MU is brought current once WP 2.5 is released as stable. This give Donncha plenty of time to make sure everything fits, tests out for obvious bugs/problems, etc.

So, you've got some time to work with themes and do checks against 2.5, and if you find one with a problem, get it fixed.

9. emoruffino
    Posted 16 years ago #

i updated my personal blog to 2.5 and had really no theme or plugin breaks

click my name for my blog

so delete this until its needed...

10. beaulebens
    Posted 16 years ago #

I've been playing with the release candidates and some previous nightlies and I've seen no problems with themes. I saw some plugins that had a few issues though, depending on what you're using. Also a lot of plugins that have admin panels tend to either be ugly(er) or flat out break in the new admin, so watch out for that.

11. honewatson
    Posted 16 years ago #

Are testers needed for the mu 2.5 upgrade?

12. boonika
    Posted 16 years ago #

Any news on this? Will it be finished next week or next month? I'm building WPMU site with a lot of changes inside admin area. I realized that similar changes are already made inside WP 2.5 admin area. What should I do? Wait or... ?

13. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Wait.

They have to roll it out in wp.com first. give it a week or so. from the looks of things, it was released a wee bit early anyway.

14. boonika
    Posted 16 years ago #

Than I'll wait... and try not to kill myself:) Anyway, those changes in 2.5 are really cool... especially images, audio, video and other options.

Cheers

15. bloggus
    Posted 16 years ago #

First of all I think the 2.5 is really neat! Great job!

Second, to be honest, I think the integration into WPMU should be first after 2.5.1, since there is too many things to solve, image upload and much more, that you would not like to explain to your blog users ... why it is not working properly. There is always things to fix, but I thing 2.5 is for the moment a little bit rough around the edges to run as WPMU.

16. boonika
    Posted 16 years ago #

I agree. No need to hurry.

17. honewatson
    Posted 16 years ago #

There's nearly always issues with a new release so I say release it sooner.

18. amanzi
    Posted 16 years ago #

I see that Wordpress.com hasn't upgraded to the new release yet. I'm surprised that Wordpress didn't call this the 3.0 release due to all the changes, I guess this will be called Mu 1.5? Would be good to get an update from Donncha about the progress of this - are we going to be involved in the testing of the update, or will he just release it as complete?

19. MrBrian
    Posted 16 years ago #

They went from 2.3 to 2.5. Going to 3.0 is a bit silly. MU will be called 1.5 yeah, at least as far as I know. Hes pretty busy with the work on it, as he seems hidden in a cave. It will be posted on trac.mu.wordpress.org when it's ready for some testing though. Once it's stable, it will go to release, but i think that will be awhile.

20. boonika
    Posted 16 years ago #

Oh my good, I became Internet addict (WPMU addict actually)and I'm a painter... I should be somewhere outside drawing trees... Can't wait for that 1.5 release to come out... I also took 7 days off from my job just to finish my WPMU project and now I can't do it cause I'll have to upgrade to 1.5 really soon... there are too many changes inside administration and that's why I'll just have to wait it.

21. DanYork
    Posted 16 years ago #

Just for the sake of people finding this thread through Google searches or blog posts (like mine) that point to this thread, I'll note that WPMU 1.5 Release Candidate 1 is now available and is discussed in this thread:

http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=8028

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by freshestnoob
  • Latest reply from DanYork