The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

403 Forbidden for Subdomain (5 posts)

1. hhuskies
    Posted 16 years ago #

Okay, install went smoothly as usual, I can access posts for my main blog - but when I try and access a newly created subdomain blog - I get a 403 Forbidden error.

This is the status of my settings:

1. Mod_rewrite IS enabled - as I can view my posts on my main blog with pretty permalinks.

2. I CAN ping subdomain.mydomain.com or any other subdomain. I was NOT able to do this before I added my * wildcard to my A hosts list. Before I added the wildcard I just received "host not found" when I tried to ping any subdomain.

3. I added * pointing to my IP address in my hosts list as well as @ pointing to my IP. I also added *.domain.com pointing to my IP - just to make sure I didn't miss something. Do I have too many entries - or is one unneeded and causing problems for me?

So in essence I believe I have everything I need to get subdomains working - but I probably am just missing one crucial item in my httpd.conf or a certain setting somewhere. Is getting a Forbidden error usually evident of a certain wrong setting?

Thank you for any help you can offer!

2. hhuskies
    Posted 16 years ago #

So basically - am I missing a wildcard entry, or do I have an unneeded entry? I guess that's what I am asking! :-)

I am not new to Wordpress MU - but in my previous installations I have always just stuck with subdirectories. This is my first attempt at Subdomains. :-)

3. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Apache configuration file needs a wildcard ServerAlias as well.

4. hhuskies
    Posted 16 years ago #

Is there any way to change this configuration via .htaccess or php.ini files? This host doesn't allow changes to the httpd.conf file. LOL And they WON'T touch it either. :-)

Just so you know what I am doing - I am testing a certain host provider. :-) LOL Many of my customers consistently request this provider, and I have always tried to avoid it....so I decided to just get a small account and see if I could even install anything on the system. (wpmu, phpbb, etc...) So far I am not happy....

But I think at this point I can honestly tell customers I do NOT want to use this host - and I have good reasons for it!

5. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Well, someone absolutely has to edit that file to use *.domain.com unless they add it in automatically on account creation.

If they won't do that, then subdomains are NOT possible any other way.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by hhuskies
  • Latest reply from andrea_r