The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Only Some Blogs Are Down? (14 posts)

1. suleiman
    Posted 16 years ago #

Blog Down! I repeat, Blog Down!

Okay, well enough of the drama. I've run into another problem on my new server where it appears that only *some* of the blogs are down at any given point in time. I have tried to restart the server on numerous occasions and still get the same results. I'm bummed and can't figure this one out.

Anyone care to lend a helping hand?

2. Trent
    Posted 16 years ago #

Do you have an example? When you say "down", what exactly do you mean? Any errors associated? Anything in the error log?

Trent

3. suleiman
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm getting a "server reported unexpected error" on these sites.

I've noticed that if i reboot the server these sites work for a few minutes, but then ultimately start reporting these errors again after a few minutes.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

This is probably unhelpful, but I'm thinking it's a server setting somewhere.
    Check error logs? Do a top?

5. suleiman
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks for the advice andrea, I'm guessing it's a server issue too. I just doubled the amount of ram on the server and the same issue comes back, though not as soon now.

Where should I be checking for error logs? I've got logs in the specific theme folder tied to the user that is usually down, and also in the public_html folder.

Thanks for the help andrea.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Uh.. brain fuzzy... I mean raw server error logs if you don't have a cpanel or anything that will show you general ones.

something like /usr/var/logs/ is where they are, usually depending on what version of Linux is on your box.

7. dgilmour
    Posted 16 years ago #

I've just trawled for "server reported unexpected error" to see if I could understand where it's coming from. It's very unusual, with only 2 Google hits. Rummaging briefly in Apache, Microsoft, PHP, Mozilla wasn't successful either. Which browser is displaying that message?

8. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

"I just doubled the amount of ram on the server and the same issue comes back, though not as soon now."

What else is running on the system? Me and ... someone else... ;) .. have both recently had issues with Spam Assasin going nuts. I also had issues with cpanle updates freezing everything, even after multiple upgrades. Ultimately, in my case my host moved me over to another box (that was fun) and everything magically cleared up.

any chance there's a hardware failure going on?

9. suleiman
    Posted 16 years ago #

Okay red alert.

I just tried to write/edit a post and both of them crapped out with the same error.

It's a "cannot find server" error in explorer, and a "server reported unexpected error" in Safari. Firefox shows a blank page.

Does anyone have any suggestions for possible fixes? I'm thinking I may be re-installing 1.3.3 very soon.

The odd part is, restarting the VPS resolves the problem. Which leads me to believe it may be an issue with the site really being down but spitting out pages from cache or something like it. I've got eAccellerator installed. I'm going to try and disable it first, and then move from there.

Any ideas folks?

10. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

So... what;s going on in the server when it does this? Any cpu overloads, any memory crapping out, maybe a bunch of processes all over the place?

11. Trent
    Posted 16 years ago #

Check both your domain error logs as well as the virtuozzo alerts for hints as well. Did you make any changes by moving from php4 or mysql 4 to their "5" equivalents? I know using secure copy and migration tools I managed to rid myself of every tables auto_increment and file permissions issues, so everything is suspect ;)

Trent

12. Trent
    Posted 16 years ago #

One more thing. Make sure that you don't have the watchdog running as even media temple say that think is poison and recommend using something else for domain monitoring.....

Trent

13. suleiman
    Posted 16 years ago #

Ladies and gentlemen I believe I have found the culprit.

Once I realized that the problem wasn't really that only some of the blogs were down, but that the whole site was actually down, I started thinking outside the box a little bit.

Sure I had been bumping up against QoS alerts for kmemsize, but since I doubled my memory a few days back those had been eliminated.

The problem was our good friend eAccellerator. When I disabled it and restarted the server I was able to write and edit posts, and the one or two blogs that were always down were up and running fine.

Apparently if I want to run eAccellerator I need to make sure to strip out kses.php. I've decided instead to go the APC route and see what dreams may come.

Thank you all for patiently reading through my woes and worries. :)

14. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Good to know, and thanks for coming back with an update for future searches. :)

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by suleiman
  • Latest reply from andrea_r