The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Forums Restart (16 posts)

1. matt
    Key Master
    Posted 18 years ago #

We lost a few months of forum posts. They aren't actually lost, but the user database was out of sync with the main wp.org one and users had been created and there were ID conflicts so despite my best efforts I wasn't able to merge the IDs of the old and new user table. I considered scrapping all old forum posts, but figured some might be better than none.

If you registered on mu.wordpress.org in the past few months, you may need to re-register.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to a fresh start here as we re-launch the site and bring some new features online.

2. barrybell
    Posted 18 years ago #

New features to the support forums, or new features to MU?

(Please say MU. Please say MU. Please say MU.)

;o)

3. azlinux
    Posted 18 years ago #

why is it when i search here in the search box, the results are directed to wordpress.org NOT to mu.wordpress.org?

4. andrewbillits
    Posted 18 years ago #

azlinux, try using this search form:

http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/search/

Matt, as wpmu has picked up a bit of steam over the last few months the moderator feature will definetly come in handy. Seriously, I give it six hours before someone here has to say the phrase "search the forums."

5. ergate
    Posted 18 years ago #

A question to the board coders, since there was a lot of problems resolved, solutions, workarounds, plugins tons of material over the last three months, can you possibly just pull the posts and entries over, ignore the user and put in some random default so the posts and threads are still inexistance and not lost to the four corners of a round room?

I had a similar problem recently when porting one Forum script over to bbpress. The forum that was used allowed for guests and unregistered posters, but bbpress (as you know, you guys wrote it) doesnt. So instead of loosing the posts for the random walk ins I assigned a posterID in the bb_posts table to 0 so that post now shows as "unregistered", and if a guest created the topic I assigned the topic_poster in bb_topics 0 but left the name topic_poster_name.

I am sure you know all about this, and I am sure this wouldnt be easy with thousands of posts (I know how much work it was for me on the <small>small</small> board I ported over). But since this is the internets and all of us are all experts in our own heads I thougth I would throw my 2cents in.

On the plus side, I did have several pages of User Activity and threads created, and if I do say so myself alot of those were some real stinkers and very dumb kinda glad I can have some of my past cleaned up!

blah blah blah.

6. andrewbillits
    Posted 18 years ago #

Actually, we REALLY need to start adding this stuff to the codex.

7. ergate
    Posted 18 years ago #

even better.

I have started a wpmu docs page under my user profile in the codex, maybe if we can get enough stuff hammerd out there then we can get it officially into the codex.

http://codex.wordpress.org/User:Ergate/WPMU_Docs

8. andrewbillits
    Posted 18 years ago #

I'm curious what kinda of userbase wpmu has though. I mean, it's its several thousand then we really need to get this stuff documented if it's just a hundred or two then i'm not as worried. wpmudev.org recieves about 100 hits a day so that gives me a small idea of how many users are activly using wpmu.

9. itdamager
    Posted 18 years ago #

Something is still out of sync. When I log in here, all seems fine, but over on the regular wp forums I cannot post or start threads because the reply/thread forms don't show up. Its like I'm 'read-only' over there. I suppose I can't blame ya'll for trying to shut me up... :)

10. andrea_r
    Posted 18 years ago #

ohthankgoditsback. And I love whatever change you did, as I'm logged in. It kept forgetting me here and wouldn't let me change my password. :-/

I for one, are very willing to help out with documentation, proofreading, etc and when it comes down to it have about an hour a day, more or less, depending.

11. mzeecedric
    Posted 18 years ago #

wow, I'm really glad the forums are back. Thanx for all the folks making this work! My account is still available and I was also able to update my settings. Great!

12. blips
    Posted 18 years ago #

I have been restricted also, I'm only able to reply. I can NOT create a new post to the forum.

13. NickR
    Posted 18 years ago #

Yeah, it would be awesome if some of those posts could be salvaged. I referred to them A LOT. Even if they could just be dumped somewhere where people could have access to them simply to read them.

14. ergate
    Posted 18 years ago #

I did find a way to retrieve "some" of the posts, go to google and do a site search, and load cached pages.
    for example:
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=site%3Amu.wordpress.org+htaccess&btnG=Search
    view the cached page. This might allow access, for a period of time, to some of the old posts.

15. andrewbillits
    Posted 18 years ago #

It seems that some of the older posts have already been deleted from the cache because I cannot for the life of me find the post that had the code snippet to share the user table with bbpress.

16. ergate
    Posted 18 years ago #

Yeah, I tried to find the same post, there was some good stuff in there, I had a pretty lengthy conversation with someone about a bunch of variations of the code.

I do have this, real basic only shares users table,

define('CUSTOM_USER_TABLE', 'wp_users');

I dumped that into the bbpress config file, can also be dumped into the wp config file, depending on your flavour. I have some more of these modifications documented somewhere, at home I think. If I can find them I will post them, things like sharing cookies etc.

About this Topic