The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Problems updating from pre 1.3 version (10 posts)

1. selad
    Posted 15 years ago #

In a few test I have made upgrading from pre 1.3 versions to 1.3.3 when 'DB_COLLATE' and 'DB_CHARSET' are not utf8 causes major problems.

After replacing the system's files with the new version files I noticed that text from the db is not correctly encoded. When I enter the correct values in the config file ('latin1_swedish_ci') the text is shown correctly but now the upgrade process and creating new blogs do not work. It seems that wpmu is not able to create new tables.

Could not find any useful information while searching the forums :(

Any ideas?

2. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Actually we just discussed this a few days ago a bit.

Best bet would be to convert your databases to UTF8 and then run the upgrade. UTF8 would probably be better as you'll be able to handle non-"english" (I can't think of the right word) charsets.

3. selad
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks. The problem is I was never able to convert to UTF8 without destroying the db.

4. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Are you actually running a convert script or just flipping the dropdown for the charset within phpmyadmin? You actually have to convert the data to the new charset.

edit: This should help.

5. selad
    Posted 15 years ago #

I was running a convert script but a different one. I'll give it a try.

Thanks!

6. selad
    Posted 15 years ago #

Things have improved and now I can upgrade some blogs. However, some blogs that were there have diapered and I'm directed to the signup page.

7. selad
    Posted 15 years ago #

Just to report babk... it seems that the issue with the redirection to the signup page was dns related. The dns records were not updated for over a week!

8. suleiman
    Posted 15 years ago #

selad, did this resolve the odd characters in your blogger's posts?

9. selad
    Posted 15 years ago #

suleiman, in the sandbox yes. The dump file is more than 500mb so its not simple to edit it directly.

10. dgilmour
    Posted 15 years ago #

@selad: I've just posted a guide to how I successfully converted to utf8 after many failed attempts.

I hit the encoding problems following the upgrade to 1.3.3 from 1.2.5a. The database had been running since 1.0RC4, and the tables up till now used latin1 encoding.

About this Topic