The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Themes with Customized Header Images (7 posts)

1. bwinn
    Posted 15 years ago #

I have downloaded nearly every theme I can get my hands on that allow for users to upload their own header image to the theme. From what I have gathered, they all pretty much use the same code to do this.

I have a problem though, it doesn't work for me. anytime I go to upload an image it will direct me to a blank page. I called my host late last night to chat about it and the best they could come up with was that it was a permissions problem with my user.

So my question is, what is going on here? Is it really a user problem on my server? I know it's not the theme because its working for others on their websites just fine, and the fact that I keep getting the same thing happening, tells me its not the theme.

Anyone ran into something similar? Any help would be mucho appreciato.

2. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

they all pretty much use the same code to do this

It's built into wpmu. There's previous discussion on the topic along with links if you search for 'custom image header' if you have the interest. One of the developers did a fairly lengthly post on the topic as well on his blog.

Best bet would be to start with checking your error logs, providing an example of an image that you tried as well as the theme that you tried it in so we can have a look.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

I would guess it's something on the server. like a missing module. ;) *especially* if they are themes that works elsewhere, then it's totally soemthign on your server. user permissions don't have much to do with it (not MU user permissions).

4. bwinn
    Posted 15 years ago #

andrea, thats what I was suspecting but my host thought otherwise. What type of a module could be missing? It's strange but I also have an avatar plugin that is acting funny now too. It will let users upload an avatar to their profile but wont let them change it... It almost seems like there is a problem with the blogs.dir directory dont you think?

5. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

We've been having a discussion elsewhere about the GD image module for php and how there's a version 1 and a version 2. I think you need #2.

IME, whenever there's multiple imaging problems on the site, it has *always* been some server setting.

6. bwinn
    Posted 15 years ago #

Can you send a link to where I get that?

7. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Ideally, your host should be able to do that.

But here's a start -
    http://www.libgd.org/FAQ#How_do_I_install_gd_on_Fedora_Linux.3F

About this Topic