The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Making money from a WPMU installation through adverts (23 posts)

1. freshestnoob
    Posted 15 years ago #

I just created WPMU based blogging network simply because I wanted to corner a niche before anybody else does. Prior to that, I never gave a thought as to how I would generate funds.

After going through some networks, I discovered the primary modes of money generation is through donations and subscriptions which are two things that will not just work for me.

That leaves me with the the third option: adverts.

I would like my own adverts to show up in such a way that it will not affect the normal flow of my user's blog.

I've done a bit of research and I've got some ideas:

1. Adsense Deluxe plugin: Its a very viable option but is limited to those that actually add adsense. Some people It is technically my best option for now.

2. Topbar: I'm thinking of a plugin that automatically adds a topbar to every blog in the network (similar to the blogspot topbar). There would be search, next blog and previous blog but in the middle there would be text ads. It is also a good option but I think it will affect the blog's layoutin varying degrees.

3. Top edge Flash adverts: As seen on http://www.johnchow.com (top-right) This adverts dont affect the page's layout but they can so 'take away attention from the blogs' main content'. That might be slightly annoying to my users but it will definitely be the best way to generate revenue.

I need advice on which one to use. Also, I would appreciate extra ideas and advice from people who have used the above methods or are using any other methods.

Thanks in advance.

Sorry about my english.

2. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

1. - it works well, I think
    2 - there's a top menu bar plugin already. Would be easy to add a couple text ads.
    3 - I think they are *very* annoying.

And you may want to consider a sidebar ad in each theme that rotates or randomizes a bunch from your own ad network. If you've got a great niche, should be no problem to sell to advertisers directly.

I would also use more than one of these options.

3. ehab
    Posted 15 years ago #

Ads would take out all the morals/fun, etc - from my point of view - that is.

Just make sure you ask yourself, at the end of the day, why would they choose your network, rather than wordpress.com or blogger.com ?

4. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

If it's as generic as wp.com or blogger, well yeah. then again, LJ had ads. :D

Solution: offer them something to make it worth it.

5. freshestnoob
    Posted 15 years ago #

@andrea_r

is there a plugin for automatically putting sidebar ads in all themes?

6. honewatson
    Posted 15 years ago #

Has rotating ads worked well for anyone?

Something like user and network ads combined.

So you have an ad space where 50% of the time shows your users adsense, and then the other 50% shows your adsense.

7. freshestnoob
    Posted 15 years ago #

google adsense deluxe 2 for that.

You can even set percentages other than 50-50.

8. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

"is there a plugin for automatically putting sidebar ads in all themes?"

no, you'd have to add it if you were using something other than adsense & those plugins.

9. blogono
    Posted 15 years ago #

we at http://blogono.com are working with point 2, the admin-bar plugin.

its not very hard to setup some projectwonderfull and google-ads and it does not realy annoy the bloggers.

althought that, the click-through-rates are very low ///:

10. awarner20
    Posted 15 years ago #

@ blogono,

Are you talking about the plugin found here?
    http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/MU-Admin-Bar

...or some other, more advertising-specific plugin?

Thanks for any clarification you can provide.

11. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yeah, that's the one we're talking about.

also, I like ads that pay per impression and not click throughs.

12. awarner20
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks andrea_r

13. blogono
    Posted 15 years ago #

@ awarner20

http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/MU-Admin-Bar

yeah, thats the plugin! i just changed the background, devided it with tables and placed some php-ad-code.

@ andrea_r

i like impression based cpm-ads aswell. but most ad-networks i am actualy working with declined Blogono, because it did not meet their tos.

they said, that they can not allow such free hosting sites, where the owners have no control about the posts of their members. thats at least what ValueClickMedia and Realtechnetwork were saying.

do you know any other good advertising sites that do allow us blog-hosters ??

14. awarner20
    Posted 15 years ago #

@ blogono

Thanks for clarifying...

15. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

If you're just a generalized site, it might be harder. Advertisers at least want some kind of niche.

Why not openads?

16. freshestnoob
    Posted 15 years ago #

Does the mu-admin-bar show to visitors too?

17. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yep.

18. blogono
    Posted 15 years ago #

thanks for the tip, andrea!!

i did not yet try openads, thats this cool open source advertising-management tool, isnt it?

it does not provide contact/signup with ad networks, you have to search for them first and serve their ads through openads? or am i completely wrong?? hmm

regards,
    mark

19. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

"it does not provide contact/signup with ad networks, you have to search for them first and serve their ads through openads? "

You can contact your own advertisers, but they also have listed big-time ad networks that you can apply to. Like for when you get over 10,000 page views a day (week? can't remember).

20. imgoel
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi, can we use adsense-manager plugin in wpmu?

21. mail4kaja
    Posted 15 years ago #

I'm using the latest version of Wordpress MU. I have followed all the instructions posted at http://blogetery.com/blog/adsense-deluxe2/ But, AdSense Delux is not getting listed if It is uploaded to mu-plugins. It comes up when placed in plugins. But, I want to start a site very similar to blogetery.com.

Please help me.

22. blogfloggerscom
    Posted 15 years ago #

@blogono

said,"do you know any other good advertising sites that do allow us blog-hosters ??"

Yes, there is another ad network out there that allows use in blogs (as far as I know), family friendly FairAds Network... er... you'll need my link of course... http://GalaxyNet.ws/ . You can make money both as an advertiser or publisher, and as an affiliate. No plugins yet to my knowledge... someone knowledgeable needed to create one.

23. azrin
    Posted 15 years ago #

Depending on what you want to do with it..there are always other means to make a living from your blog! Nuffnang etc...all must , in the good sense ...BLEND IN to the site! Not intrude!

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by freshestnoob
  • Latest reply from azrin