The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Pay For Install of WPMU on ASO (17 posts)

1. gemanshi
    Posted 16 years ago #

I have an account on ASmallOrange and have had them setup the subdomains. I've been to various stages of the install and it keeps erroring out. I've grown pretty frustrated and wondered if anyone would set MU up for a fee?

If you're interested let me know, ASO support has tried everything with me over the last few days.

2. tdjcbe
    Posted 16 years ago #

Maybe explaining what you mean by "erroring out" and where you're getting stuck may get you some advice.

Also you need to leave a method of contact so folks can get in touch with you.

3. gemanshi
    Posted 16 years ago #

I didn't bother posting the error because I'm ready to just pay someone who's a pro to set it up. With that being said, I've gone round and round with the .htaccess file and it needing to be deleted according to the install screen, deleting it, and then after entering the db info getting the following error because it doesn't exist. The error is:

Warning: touch() [function.touch]: Utime failed: Operation not permitted in /home/grant237/public_html/index-install.php on line 121
    Warning!

There was a problem creating the .htaccess file.

Error: Could Not Write To .htaccess.
    Server Summary

If you post a message to the ยต support forum at http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/ then copy and paste the following information into your message:

ERROR: could not open .htaccess for writing
    htaccess.dist
    uid/gid: 32339/32341
    size: 378
    perms: 0646
    readable: yes
    writeable: yes
    .htaccess
    uid/gid: 32339/99
    size: 0
    perms: 0775
    readable: yes
    writeable: yes

Please ensure that the webserver can write to this directory.

If you use Cpanel then read this post. Cpanel creates files that I need to overwrite and you have to fix that.

If all else fails then you'll have to create it by hand:

* Download htaccess.dist to your computer and open it in your favourite text editor.
    * Replace the following text:
    o BASE by ''
    o HOST by ''
    o Rename htaccess.dist to .htaccess and upload it back to the same directory.
    Installation Aborted!
    ------------------------------------

As far as a method of contact, I assumed people would post in this thread, I guess that's what they say about assuming. Anyway, if you have any suggestions great. I followed the thread the error page suggested in regards to changing the permissions of the .htaccess file with no luck.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

What kind of control panel do they have at ASO?

5. gemanshi
    Posted 16 years ago #

cPanel. I found a couple posts on installing mu on cPanel and to be specific, the thread referenced in the above error is for that very thing when you're getting the .htaccess error. I can't find the thread atm but it was the one that suggests chmod'ing .htaccess to 646.

6. awarner20
    Posted 16 years ago #

In order to get MU installed on my cpanel setup, I had to delete the .htaccess file that was there by default from my host.

7. gemanshi
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yeah, I've done that on each install as directed by the installer which says "Warning! .htaccess already exists" or something to that effect.

Here is the above referenced thread in case anyone was curious:

http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=99&page&replies=13

8. gemanshi
    Posted 16 years ago #

I've deleted the wp-config file to start over after trying a couple other things as suggested in various threads such as chmod'ing the .ht file to 666 or 777. Nothing works. I'll sit tight at the blog addresses, db info, server location, etc... page.

9. gemanshi
    Posted 16 years ago #

Bueller... Bueller... Anyone?

;-)

10. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Bumping within less that at least 24 hours is considered rude. Not to mention in under an hour.

Carry on.

11. gemanshi
    Posted 16 years ago #

Jeez... The comment was a joke!!! Lighten up. Anyway, I'm sorry for being a rude asshole.

12. taiwanese
    Posted 16 years ago #

hmm i did my installation with ASO and everything went fine. I didn't remember changing the permission for .htacces...

13. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Delete the htaccess thru ftp, not cpanel. It'll stick it back.

14. gemanshi
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yeah, I found that out the hard way. I've made a point to always do it through FTP and it still is giving me the error. I'll make sure it's gone before I enter all the info and try again.

15. gemanshi
    Posted 16 years ago #

Andrea, etc... Thanks for the help. I finally got it to work!!! It came down to an issue of timing in regards to when I deleted the file in the FTP I think. Anyway, it's working. Thanks again.

16. awarner20
    Posted 16 years ago #

Great news!...and thanks to Andrea also for the "delete through FTP" confirmation. I'm sure that will help others:)

17. suleiman
    Posted 16 years ago #

gemanshi, please let me save you a bunch of time, trouble, and energy.

LEAVE ASO

It's not worth the time. Servers are horrendously slow. And I've had very bad experiences with their support. No number to dial, and essentially you're stuck with their sometimes working but usually useless ticketing system.

If you'd asked me 2 months back I could have recommended Hostgator's shared plan. Their support is excellent. Their package rates are great. But they will shut you down without notice if you use too many resources. I hate to join the line of "just say no to shared" veterans on this board, but the simple reality is we're pitching it for a reason.

You can always start there, and Hostgator is a great place to start, but do note that the porting process to a VPS or dedicated server will come sooner or later, and it will undoubtedly be a long, painful process.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by gemanshi
  • Latest reply from suleiman