The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Is it easy to change the domain name of a wpmu site? (6 posts)

1. italways
    Posted 15 years ago #

I intend to change the domain name of my current wpmu site, there are about 30 blogs on this site. Is it possible to do that? change the domain name to a new one but do not break any functions or urls? my idea is to replace every current domain name in the database with the new one, I am not sure if it is easy to do that, have anybody here done this same thing before? any suggestions or hints? thanks!

2. cafespain
    Posted 15 years ago #

Go here:
    http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/plugins.php

And grab the Multi-Site Manager plugin, which should do what you want.

3. italways
    Posted 15 years ago #

@ cafespain

Thanks! I need migrate my site from Bluehost's shared hosting to MT's (dv), besides changing the domain name, I will move all files to the new hosting as well.

I do not need multi-site on my wpmu site, so I did not pick that plugin, I have started some test for the site migration:

1. export the mysql database to a sql file, open it with a text editor, replace all old domain name with the new one, import this modified sql file to my new hosting's database

2. download all files from my old hosting, then upload them to my new hosting

3. change the database config in wp-config.php accordingly.

Then I try to open the new site with IE, I am glad to see most things are working, but afterwards I found some strange problems very soon:

1. I got a blank page when I login the backend, but if I go to some specific page in backend directory, "profile.php" for instance, it works, I can also write the post and other things are all ok, it seems just the main page of backend got blank.

2. can not upload files, I am sure the upload floder permission is ok, I am about to look into it.

still keep on testing now, I will come here to post the updates regularly.

4. cafespain
    Posted 15 years ago #

I suggested that plugin because there it has the ability to add another site and then move blogs from the existing site to the new one. It would have done all of the hard work of replacing things in tables for you.

Try clearing the cache in your browser. You may have some old wordpress cookies in there.

5. italways
    Posted 15 years ago #

thanks cafespain, maybe I did not understand the description of that plugin well when I checked it out first time, thanks for your reminding!

if I still got many problems, I think it is better for me to use that plugin you recommened.

thanks!

6. Trent
    Posted 15 years ago #

When you move italways from bluehost, just setup the server as a new domain name and then add your current WPMU install as an "addon" domain in Plesk. This allows you to install WPMU under the account for the new domain and link it to your old domain name. It will work fine as that is what I did. The addon domain thinks it is the main domain. Get it working that way and then get MT support to change the name to your old domain. If you want the new domain change anyways, disregard this :)

Trent

About this Topic