The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Attack - dozens of unauthorized blogs have been set up through my WPMU (4 posts)

1. inkydinky
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi-

Unbeknownst to be, hundreds of blogs have been set up through my WPMU, all apparently spam blogs. How can this happen? How can I prevent it from happening? And are there any quick ways to erase these hundreds of blogs?

I hope this was some exploit that has since been patched.

2. demonicume
    Posted 15 years ago #

what version of mu are you running? you should turn on email notification. check your DB and see if its the same IP doing the splogging. i have an outdated version of wp-ban which is still blocking beautifully and i can ship it to you. you can also ban people in your cpanel.

3. inkydinky
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks demonicume, but right now I mostly just want to know how this is even possible, and how to prevent it. Maybe I'm just tired but I can't see a clearly marked option to disallow public registration of blogs, so I can't tell if this is a weakness in the default setup, or an exploit.

?

4. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 15 years ago #

inkydinky - option is in wpmu-options.php and if you don't have it then you should upgrade. If you're not running the latest stable version you should upgrade anyway.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by inkydinky
  • Latest reply from donncha