The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

General questions (17 posts)

1. Namesniper
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hello Everyone,

I was browsing MU website but didnt found a link to admin demo and answers to some question
    Can anyone please help me out with them ?

Where do I find admin area demo ?
    Are there such a features ?
    Approval of new users by email ?
    How plug ins are connected ?
    Different quote for different members ?
    Multi lingual support (sign up page etc) ?
    Is it possible to add/remove different features for different members ?
    Support custom design/theme for each user account (if i can uplaod themes somewhere so users can choose from them) ?

How easy is it to customize MU features ?

Maybe i have misunderstood and once user is registered,its the same as with usual wordpress (he can install any plug,theme etc) ?

Is it possible to make it so instead of creating subdomain for a user it create a directory like domain.com/userblog ?
    Does it automatically installing WP also or it must be installed separately ?
    WU link back required ? If no then is there a feature in admin area to remove WP link back by default for all accounts ?
    Is it creating SEO friendly URLs ?

Best Regards,
    Pavel

2. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

There currently is not a demo anywhere that I know of. As for the features:

1) Approval of new users by email - the closest thing would be the invite system

2) Different quote for different members - if you mean disk space then the answer is no. The disk space limit is the same for every account

3) Multi lingual support (sign up page etc) - wpmu takes advantage of language files just like WP

4) Is it possible to add/remove different features for different members - plugins can be turned on or off by memebers, everything else is set the same for all members

5) Support custom design/theme for each user account (if i can uplaod themes somewhere so users can choose from them) - wpmu allows members to choose from as many themes as you upload.

6) Is it possible to make it so instead of creating subdomain for a user it create a directory like domain.com/userblog - yep, you can choose not to enable vhost when installing which would create the blogs with addresses like you mentioned

7) How easy is it to customize MU features - If you're familiar with PHP and MySQL it's fairly easy to customize wpmu any way you wish.

I hope this helps :)

3. Namesniper
    Posted 17 years ago #

Andrewbillits,

Thanks for answers,i have a few more questions :)

1) Approval of new users by email - the closest thing would be the invite system
    ----------
    You mean that i can choose to approve members manually by email ?

4) Is it possible to add/remove different features for different members - plugins can be turned on or off by memebers, everything else is set the same for all members

Is it possible to offer all plugins currently available for WP to WU users or WU plugins are different ?

Is it creating SEO friendly URLs(the same way as WP does) ?

Thanks

4. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

What I mean by invite is that you can send out invitations through email to whoever you wish to let signup. Without the invite code contained withen the email you send it's impossible to signup for a blog.

As for plugins, a large number of wp plugins can be used with wpmu without much of a hassle. There actually is a thread about plugins known to work. :)

As for SEO, wpmu is capable of using the same permalink architecture that WP uses.

:)

5. Namesniper
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks,i have emailed you :)

6. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

hmm, I haven't recieved an email. My address is andrew (@t) idtstudios.com

A lot of people spell idtstudios incorrectly ;)

7. amanzi
    Posted 17 years ago #

I think question 2 is important because I can't see anyway to change this - even on a blog by blog basis.

Ideally I'd like to be able to provide different quotas to different groups of blogs. For example, I could have a free blog service that provides 20MB of storage space, or a 100MB quota for 'premium' customers.

8. samchng
    Posted 17 years ago #

Yes, I second that. I would love to have different webspace quota for different user.

9. Namesniper
    Posted 17 years ago #

Andrew reemailing you..please confirm if you have received my email ?

10. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

yep, I just recieved it :)

11. aferraz
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hello Everyone,
    I want to change the default links that WordPressMu add to a new blog.
    Anyone know how can i do that ?

Tanks.

12. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

Yep, open up wp-includes/wpmu-functions.php and look at lines 223 - 226. If you are using an older build the line number may be off a bit.

13. Namesniper
    Posted 17 years ago #

Andrew did you replied to it?
    I didnt received an email from you

14. aferraz
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks Andrew, the number of the line is correct.
    So... another question...
    There is a gallery plugin that work whit Wpmu ?

Thanks

15. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

Unfortunatly there is not a gallery plugin that works with wpmu out of the box. Several people have managed to get a few plugins working but only after hacking the plugin.

Namesniper,

Sorry about that. I walked outside and forgot to hit the send button. ;)

16. aferraz
    Posted 17 years ago #

I have thin error when I try to update the blogs:
    URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration

Someone can help me ?

17. Namesniper
    Posted 17 years ago #

Is it possible to manually add a usual WP plugin to a specific user only ?

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by Namesniper
  • Latest reply from Namesniper