The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Best WPMU Spam fighter (17 posts)

1. Ace69
    Posted 18 years ago #

Hello guys,

What is for you the best spamfighter that works with WPMU?

Thanks in advance!

2. andrewbillits
    Posted 18 years ago #

The "Best" would be akismet.

3. amanzi
    Posted 18 years ago #

Andrewbillits - I'm curious to know why Akismet is the best? I always recommend Spam Karma 2 because it clearly displays why each comment was caught, and also give you digest emails letting you know how many spams have been caught. Also, I don't like how you have to sign up for a blog on Wordpress.com to use Akismet. But I haven't used Akismet in a while so maybe this has changed?

Cheers - Stuart

4. Ace69
    Posted 18 years ago #

Thanks for the replies guys, will try these out, anyone other suggestions?

5. mohamednazmi
    Posted 18 years ago #

I've read that Spam Karma 2 works fine with WPMU.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 18 years ago #

Just as an extension of this - do or will any spam plugins works *site-wide*?
    I want to be able to manage the spam so users don't get bothered.

7. submo6
    Posted 18 years ago #

I really love using Spam Karma 2! I have tried using the one you can get the code though wordpress.com, though I did'nt really like as Spam Karmas breakdown as to why and such...

8. debrouille
    Posted 17 years ago #

Does this also work for a non-vhost (i.e. subdirectory) installation?
    My first try isn't succesfull and as i now have experienced a lot of times, making plugins work for a subdir installation can be very painfull (and sometimes it's just a question of a few hacks) i don't want to work hours on it if at the end it's not non-vhost compatible.
    Thanks for any tip!

9. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hey, debrouille... Where are you typically document/contribute back, the non-vhost hacks you produce?

10. dsader
    Posted 17 years ago #

I use "Did you pass math?" as a captcha-type spam preventer. Works easy-peezy.

debroullie, I'm a non-vhosts, not a tonne of troubles versus vhosts.(I use 1.0rc4).

I really enjoy wordpressmu, keep posting.

11. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

sk2 does not seem to fight against splogs (blogs registered solely for the purpose of posting spam articles and linking to SEO sites).

Anyone know how to combat those?

12. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

I have one guy who is spamming my MU install like crazy, and unfortunately I can't figure out how to stop him.

Spam Karma is stopping them from commenting, but despite my having put their domain on the blacklists in Spam Karma, they are still able to register for new blogs, which they keep on doing by the truckload.

How do I stop someone from creating new spam blogs?

13. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Drop the Class C from where they're coming from into a deny line in your htaccess file.

14. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

how do I find out where they're coming from? The domain from their e-mail address has already been added, is there another way?

15. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Last time I knew, Spam Karma lists the IP address that it's coming from./

16. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Modlook for the manual spam in the previous post.

And a big thumbs down for Akismet. You do know it;s $500 a month to run on mu, right?

17. JuanManuel
    Posted 15 years ago #

I use wp-spamfree (a little modified to work with wpmu) since I move my personal blog form wp to wpmu with domain mapping. In one month it has stopped more than 20k spam comments and not even one has gone through.

About this Topic

• Started 18 years ago by Ace69
  • Latest reply from JuanManuel