The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Spam signup but no notification (10 posts)

1. jamielesouef
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi all,

I've tried searching but i just can't seem to find the answer. I've got wordpress mu (v 1.3.3 wp 2.3.3) installed along with the wp-vailid captcha installed. I'm having trouble with spam signups and i still cant' block them. The strange thing i'm finding is that i'm not getting any notification of these registrations.

Any help would be greatly apreciated! :)

thanks

2. jamielesouef
    Posted 15 years ago #

No one?

Ok, here is some new info. I disabled blog registrations and only alowd user registrations - but they still managed to create blogs?!

Any one have any ideas?

3. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Rename your signup page. Then go through that one file and rename all calls to wp-signup.

The only splogs it won't stop are the guys who sit there and type it in manually. But most splogs are automated. ;)

4. Sprout17
    Posted 15 years ago #

Andrea, do you mind clarifying that for me.

If you rename wp-signup to something else, is the wp-signup.php file the only file that you have to rename all the references to "wp-signup"?

In other words, the words "wp-signup" don't appear in any other file. Correct?

Thanks.

5. awarner20
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yes, you got it:) I have done this on my site. I renamed the wp-signup.php to somethingelse.php and there were 3 or 4 instances of wp-signup.php in that file only.

Then of course I changed any links on my site pointing to the old wp-signup.php page.

Good luck!

6. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

wp-signup does actually appear in another file, although you can change that if you define a custom url for when a blog isn't found (look in wp-config for the constant).

7. Sprout17
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thank you both.

8. wehican
    Posted 15 years ago #

Could it be an existing user using the gimmeanotherblog feature like they have in 1.5?

I killed that by commenting out

//case 'gimmeanotherblog':
    //validate_another_blog_signup();
    //break;

in wp-signup.php.

There might have been one or two other places I had to make a change, but I forgot.

9. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

You can also hook into the signup header action with your own function, check for users logged in (that aren't site admins would be good to add to it as well), and if they are just do a redirect to the homepage.

No hacking required.

10. wehican
    Posted 15 years ago #

This also.

Line 188 in wp-signup.php

//<input type="hidden" name="stage" value="gimmeanotherblog" />

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by jamielesouef
  • Latest reply from wehican