The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Questions about multisite, multiple databases & wpmu 1.5 (6 posts)

1. enseignement
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hello,

I'm running the same kind of projects than Edublogs but for a more specific community ;-) (belgian french-speaking teachers).

I'm about to launch the multisite feature, and also run the multiple database program from wpmudev ..
    I have several questions though :
    1. is it better to run first the multiple database plugin before doing anything else ? Is it easy to install and deploy ? are there any documentations ?
    2. I wanna suggest to the bloggers to point their domain name to their blog, but I've read so many things about domain mapping and about the multisite feature i'm not really confident in this plugin. Is it easy to use ?
    3. is it compulsory to clone the siteadmin characteristics ? Why do the blogger would need super admin features ? Could someone explain that to me ?
    4. Are those plugins working with wpmu 1.5 RC ?

I would be glad to chat with someone running the same plugins.
    Thanks for your help

2. Trent
    Posted 15 years ago #

1. is it better to run first the multiple database plugin before doing anything else ? Is it easy to install and deploy ? are there any documentations ?

All the support for that plugin and the documentation are on premium.wpmudev.org and in the plugin readme file once you have a subscription. It is recommended for more advanced users and not something that everyone should try and do. There are companies that can implement this if you don't feel you have the skills to do it yourself.

2. I wanna suggest to the bloggers to point their domain name to their blog....

People report mixed results with domain mapping. Doing it yourself using some of the documentation out there would be really time consuming if you did many of them. The multi-site manager plugin makes it easier, but I don't know of anyone that has used it for more than 20 domains.

3. is it compulsory to clone the siteadmin characteristics ? Why do the blogger would need super admin features ? Could someone explain that to me ?

For domain mapping, you need to create an entire "WPMU site" so it needs a site admin. It can copy the one from your main WPMU and doesn't need to be the user you want using the domain.

The multi-db solution for 1.5 is still in beta and not released with documentation yet, but should be soon. The multi-site manager plugin seems to work for me in 1.5. Not sure what others are seeing.

Trent

3. peiqinglong
    Posted 15 years ago #

2. The plugin works, but there are inconsistencies. You also would have to manually clone the site_admins table because...

3. as a Site Admin, you would want to easily access the Site Admins panel from the blog. Cloning the entry in the db does not grant a user site admins ability, but it allows the Site Admins easy management of the blog, such as enable plugins for that specific blog...

4. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

"For domain mapping, you need to create an entire "WPMU site"...

While it's true that plugin does do that... it's not a true statement overall.

5. Trent
    Posted 15 years ago #

True, just the multi-site manager plugin and/or the manual method that drmike has a thread on.

Trent

6. andrewbillits
    Posted 15 years ago #

I'm working on the documentation for the new version of the multi-db package now and should have it out sometime tomorrow. However, as mentioned above you really need to know what you're doing to get the most out of it.

Thanks,
    Andrew

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by enseignement
  • Latest reply from andrewbillits