The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

WordpressMU is completely useless (9 posts)

1. fujii13
    Posted 15 years ago #

... unless you have a mail server.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but even as a site admin I cannot create and/or manage any (new) users unless I can send out emails. At least this is my understanding, right?

2. Trent
    Posted 15 years ago #

Nope. You can create users in the site-admin area, edit users details and manually change their passwords. Of course, through the creation of users, it sends activation links and passwords through email. That might be a problem if you don't have even the php mail function working.

Trent

3. fujii13
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yes I saw that, tried it, and it failed. There is no user creation from the back end like in the regular version of WPSU?

4. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

Which if this is not the case, it's not MU that's to fault. If it were, do you know how full these forums would be with posts like this?

On occasion you run into hosts where it doesn't work. MU isn't for shared hosting anyway. However, calling it completely useless is nothing more than theatrics from (what appears) to be a user whom does not yet possess the skills required to successfully run, maintain, and troubleshoot MU.

Broadway is in New York, not in the forums here. Let's save the drama, shall we?

5. fujii13
    Posted 15 years ago #

And, furthermore, is there any work around/hack for me to just create the users?

I am working on a serious of blogs for each department in my Agency. I do not have access to our mail server, nor do I have the rights to set one up, but we have also out grown the WPSu way of doing things, people now have an account for EACH blog, and have to log in for each blog, each blog has to upgraded individually, etc etc.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

"There is no user creation from the back end like in the regular version of WPSU? "

um, yeah - but in a different spot. Look under Site Admin -> Users and scroll to the bottom of the page.

I haven't run into a server yet where I've had to set up a mail server manually.

7. fujii13
    Posted 15 years ago #

Andrea you are a lifesaver!!! I've read countless articles about people looking to get the email confirmation removed but none of them actually came up with a solution!!! Thank you!

I already tried that once but the first time failed since I already tried creating the account with the same address I tried the first time from the other page and it failed.

8. Trent
    Posted 15 years ago #

I should have been more clear as that is also what I was getting at ;)

Trent

9. honewatson
    Posted 15 years ago #

You can use smtp mail plugin which users phpmailer to mail via php and smtp relay.

http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/SMTP-Mail

If you are unable to use your regular company email then you could create an smtp-mail plugin with gmail using this class:

http://www.klenwell.com/is/PhpGmailMailer

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by fujii13
  • Latest reply from honewatson