The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Can't delete or update posts (15 posts)

1. ARBU
    Posted 15 years ago #

This fault happens every time when I try to delete and only sometimes when I update.

In Manage>Posts I click on 'Delete', I get the confirmation pop-up I click 'OK' the post deletes, three seconds later the post reappears in red background, and where the warning message should be I get a full rendition of my homepage.

When updating posts I'm OK as long as I stick to editing text. As soon as I try to insert media or links etc. when I click on Save, or Save & Continue or Publish the page refreshes to the homepage without making the updates to the post.

FYI I have tried turning off all the plugins (no effect). I have used the solution here (which seemed to be applicable and had no effect).

This is on 1.3.3, I have bbpress integration and use plugins commander as well as the sites plugin with three live urls.

Any thoughts? Have I missed a thread somewhere? Thanks in advance

2. cafespain
    Posted 15 years ago #

Sounds like a .htaccess problem to me - instead of doing the ajax post delete behind the scenes it's reloading the admin page and displaying that.

3. ARBU
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks for that. I'll have an investigate and come back to this thread if and as ...

4. ARBU
    Posted 15 years ago #

Don't think htaccess file is the problem. The only time I get problems is when the input involves AJAX. Categories and links are also screwed up, but I can add users and new blogs without any problems.

And on the delete post thing, when the deleted page reappears, the dashboard and front end mix such that all of the dashboad menu items are centred and the entire front end home page appears within the error message box.

5. amanzi
    Posted 15 years ago #

It sounds like a caching problem to me, and that is one of the reasons I turned off all caching in 1.3.3. Try clear out the wp-content/cache directory and see if that fixes the issue. If it does, then consider turning off caching or keeping a closer eye on that cache directory.

6. ARBU
    Posted 15 years ago #

Amanzi, Haven't got wp-cache installed. Am I missing something?

7. amanzi
    Posted 15 years ago #

Check in your wp-config file and see if you've got the in-built caching enabled. Do you have a wp-content/cache directory?

8. cafespain
    Posted 15 years ago #

Do you have Firefox and firebug? http://getfirebug.com
    Then you can look at the Ajax request and subsequent response from the server (and more importantly the headers) to see if your server is returning anything weird.

I know firebug has saved me quite a few times.

9. ARBU
    Posted 15 years ago #

Amanzi: No to the in-built caching and in fact I've just realised my local version of WP is running with caching on so I can confirm I don't have in-built caching running on the WPMU. Looks like caching it ain't, but thanks for the suggestion.

Cafespain: Thanks for this, I'll check it out and let you know on this issue (Thanks for firebug in general -- very useful ;-))

10. ARBU
    Posted 15 years ago #

Cafespain: Using Firebug the problems persist in the Ajax-response div. When the ajax response is called, we get an error AND we get the homepage inserted. Which is the same as when we try and save or save and edit a post. The error response reverts to the main page. This is at all levels of the WPMU installation. There's a grab of the effect here. And here is the header response:

Response Headers
    Date Mon, 12 May 2008 09:13:35 GMT
    Server Microsoft-IIS/6.0
    X-Powered-By PHP/5.2.2
    X-Pingback http://sandboxx.forargyll.com/xmlrpc.php
    Expires Wed, 11 Jan 1984 05:00:00 GMT
    Last-Modified Mon, 12 May 2008 09:13:35 GMT
    Cache-Control no-cache, must-revalidate, max-age=0
    Pragma no-cache
    Keep-Alive timeout=15, max=76
    Connection Keep-Alive
    Transfer-Encoding chunked
    Content-Type text/html; charset=UTF-8
    Request Headers
    Host sandboxx.forargyll.com
    User-Agent Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC Mac OS X Mach-O; en-GB; rv:1.8.1.14) Gecko/20080404 Firefox/2.0.0.14
    Accept text/xml,application/xml,application/xhtml+xml,text/html;q=0.9,text/plain;q=0.8,image/png,*/*;q=0.5
    Accept-Language en-gb,en;q=0.5
    Accept-Encoding gzip,deflate
    Accept-Charset ISO-8859-1,utf-8;q=0.7,*;q=0.7
    Keep-Alive 300
    Connection keep-alive
    Referer http://sandboxx.forargyll.com/wp-admin/edit.php
    Cookie wordpresspass=383exxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxea3705a; wordpressuser=admin; wordpress_test_cookie=WP+Cookie+check; TEST_COOKIE=WP+Cookie+check
    Pragma no-cache
    Cache-Control no-cache

And before you mention it my server environment shows up as IIS here and on the cpanel as Linux. No idea why. AM talking to my hosts support right now. In the meantime, any comments?

11. ARBU
    Posted 15 years ago #

Well, I have just been stumbling about using FireBug and seem to have found something ... When looking at the .js files called by the pages, prototype.js is doing something very odd. Or rather not doing. The header looks fine but the response is showing a large blank and crashing, or at least interminably pausing firebug. This may be it. I am going to reinstall the .js from a newly unzipped version of 1.3.3 and see.

12. ARBU
    Posted 15 years ago #

No luck on the reinstall. There also seems to be a variability here in browser response. For example NN7+ which isn't set up for the inpage AJAX updates does delete the post, but the automatic forwarding to the updated management page is broken and it reports an "Error deleting ..." message ?

13. ARBU
    Posted 15 years ago #

Just a quick note to say the problem occurs when TinyMCE is involved. Any takers on a solution?

14. ARBU
    Posted 15 years ago #

This turned out to be a problem with the PHP installation including the hardened php extension. As soon as this was deactivated the WPMU began working. So, there IS an AJAX-referral problem with WPMU 1.5.1 ... here's how I identified it in the end. http://www.arbu.co.uk/?p=274

15. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Best bet would be to submit a ticket to trac with as many specific details as you can.

http://trac.mu.wordpress.org

About this Topic