The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

any guide for upgrade from previous version ? (14 posts)

1. enseignement
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hello,
    Is there any guide, documentation about the safest way to upgrade from version 1.3.3 ?

Thanks for your help !
    Benjamin

2. sheatsb
    Posted 15 years ago #

did you read the README included in every WPMU package?

3. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 15 years ago #

My announcement post has a few details about 1.5.1 - http://ocaoimh.ie/2008/05/12/wordpress-mu-151/

4. enseignement
    Posted 15 years ago #

I mean :
    - where did mu-plugins go ?
    - what most common plugins don't work
    - where can i find my secret key ?
    - what about xmlrpc ?

Benjamin

5. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

"- where did mu-plugins go ?"

just re-create it. It's an empty folder and thus does not get zipped.

"- what most common plugins don't work"

check the codex, there's a list being compiled there.

6. horrorshow
    Posted 15 years ago #

"did you read the README included in every WPMU package?"

sheatsb, the WPMU package's README says:

UPGRADING
    =========
    Please see this page for instructions on upgrading your install:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Upgrading_WPMU

When you go to http://codex.wordpress.org/Upgrading_WPMU
    It points to information about Upgrading_Wordpress and
    has information about upgrading 1.2 to 1.3

Maybe the same principles apply for upgrading from 1.3.3 to 1.5.1, but I think it would be helpful for the non-pros if there were some explicit information upgrading from 1.3.3 to 1.5.1 in the README file.

I am going through the page that donncha mentioned: http://ocaoimh.ie/2008/05/12/wordpress-mu-151/

But please let me know if there are other documents that I need to read before starting the upgrade process. Thank you for your help.

I will be browsing the forums searching for any relevant upgrade "gotchas" and "tips" in the mean time.. but I wish it could be compiled in one place. I'd be happy to set it up, if someone has the pointers to the relevant documents. (Or if there is already a page like that, please let me know.) thanks!

7. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Usually Donncha mentions if there are any issues with upgrading in the thread announcing a new version. If you feel something different needs to be done, please feel free to step up and provide this service.

8. horrorshow
    Posted 15 years ago #

tdjcbe,

Thanks for your reply.

I am not sure if "step up" is the right phrase. I did say that I'd be happy document and compile all documentation relating to the upgrade once I've gone through the installation and have enough of experience with the upgrade.

9. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

It's pretty cut and dry.
    -- back everything up --

1) add secret salt and key definitions to your config file.

2) take site offline

3) remove wp-admin, wp-includes, and top level files (not the config, htaccess, etc).

4) upload new files.

5) go to main wp-admin, run the upgrade.

6) put site back online.

With the exception of 1), since those are new, it's the same as it has been since it came out of RC almost 2 years ago. Donncha did note the salt/key addition in his release post, for the record.

These come with no warranty, guarantee, or responsibility.

I will note that if someone is really behind on upgrades, it isn't that simple.

10. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

"I think it would be helpful for the non-pros if there were some explicit information upgrading from 1.3.3 to 1.5.1 in the README file."

Other than the secret salt stuff and a new backend, there isn't anything special to look out for. It was one of the easier jumps, IMO.

11. horrorshow
    Posted 15 years ago #

lunabyte and andrea_r,

Thanks for that helpful information. I did do the upgrade, and it went pretty smoothly.

One thing I noticed is that when I first logged into the admin console, it didn't ask me to "upgrade".

I also tried: http://mydomain.com/wp-admin/upgrade.php
    and it said that I didn't have to do an upgrade so I am assuming that it's not necessary for 1.3.3 -> 1.5.1

I went to Site Admin and performed upgrade on all the blogs, and it took a few minutes and it completed without any problems.

So far so good. The only problem that I am having is with a plugin that I wrote that no longer works on the new site.

It adds an admin menu, but it no longer works after the upgrade. I am reading http://codex.wordpress.org/Adding_Administration_Menus hoping that it'll shed a light on the issue.

I've documented my upgrade process, which is pretty straightforward.

If I wanted this information added to the README.txt, how would I go about doing that? (Or first of all, would the maintainers of wordpress mu want this information added?)

Thanks again.

12. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

"One thing I noticed is that when I first logged into the admin console, it didn't ask me to "upgrade"."

It doesn't.

Site Admin -> Upgrade is the way to go, as you did.

It rolls through all blogs, and runs the upgrade process.

If you hit wp-admin and it needs upgrading, it does it silently in the background.

As for adding it into the readme, it has a link to the process. It's on the codex, which means wiki, which means users can update. If you feel it's out of date, have at it.

13. GeoffreyKOBrien
    Posted 15 years ago #

Where can I find older releases, I need to go from 1.25a and really wanted to wait until later this month when school gets out.

14. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

On trac, look under tags , then the version you want, and you'll see a zip link at the bottom.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by enseignement
  • Latest reply from lunabyte