The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Export / backups for users (8 posts)

1. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm trying to think up of a way (hopefully currently out there) for users in my MU install to backup or export their own content, mostly so they can have a local copy of their entries for peace of mind.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

2. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

Isn't this feature built into the Manage > Export feature on Dashboard? It gives you an XML file and I thought that could be Imported into the latest beta versions of Wordpress.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Yes, it's there now. :) My original post was back in April, when it wasn't there.

4. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

my apolgoies andrea :)

Well at least now other users visiting this thread know it's there!

5. Cruz
    Posted 17 years ago #

Ahh.. I'm switching to the latest version of MU. However I'm stuck at the step of exporting user blogs.

I'm unable to export blogs since the older MU doesn't have the export function. I tried wp-xmlmigrate.php and Wpexport-0.3 without luck.

Is it possible to tweak the export function from the latest version so that it work with older MU?

6. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Well, this one exports on just a user-by-user basis, so if you have a lot of users and you're just upgrading, you shouldn't have to export at all really (now that I think of it).

And you coudl do a db export.

7. Cruz
    Posted 17 years ago #

Nice. Tested it out and is working!

8. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

It would be nice if there was a way to export all user content into an XML file.

I recently had the case where I was moving between database versions and the export/import killed the auto_increment flags.

The imported database now has many problems.

M.<

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by andrea_r
  • Latest reply from mrjcleaver