The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Plug-in to List all available Registered Users Blogs (10 posts)

1. jmatdrama2
    Posted 15 years ago #

I am creating a family website that includes a blog. I would like to have a like within the website where family can go to the main blog page http://www.musick.us/FamilySite/Blogs and see a membership list of everyone who has their own blogs. I tried a list_all and a list_all widget but they caused my site to display an error message until I removed them from the MU plug-ins folder.

There is a plug-in that will list the registered users?

2. kevvin
    Posted 15 years ago #

This is probably a VERY inelegant solution to your question, but I created a link on my home page that performs an empty search.

By performing an empty search, I get back a list of every blog on the site.

(Mind you, as I recall I hacked the search form a bit in order to get that result...)

The link is on my site at http://nationalvirtualmemorial.org, you'll find it in the right sidebar as "The List".

Hope that if it doesn't help, it at least sparked a possible alternate solution for you.

3. Trent
    Posted 15 years ago #

Interesting way to do that kevvin! :)

Trent

4. jmatdrama2
    Posted 15 years ago #

This sounds like a possible solution. I'm still quite new to php and wordpress mu. I've been looking at your source code and think i understand it (at least partiallly). However, in going over the wordpress mu files, i am at a loss as to which file i need to change in order to alter the sidebar menus. Any direction would be appreciated.

5. kevvin
    Posted 15 years ago #

It would take too much space, I think, to post my code here, but a basic description of what I did is as follows:

Go into your wp-admin folder, and grab the wpmu-blogs.php file. Then hack it so you can run **a copy of it** out of the root folder (without compromising your site's security).

If I can figure out a way to post the code that doesn't freak everybody out, I'll do it, but I warn you in advance: I write REALLY bad code...I never learned PHP shorthand, so everything gets done old-school and ugly.

6. kevvin
    Posted 15 years ago #

Should have added that my hack basically removed ALL functionality from the wpmu-blogs.php file except for displaying the results of a search. And there's probably a ton of stuff in my edited code that doesn't need to be there. But it works.

7. bitjumper
    Posted 15 years ago #

I'm also using Wordpress MU for a family site, http://www.kilk.com. I've been doing this for a couple years. The list-all.php plugin has always been working for me -- before and after I upgraded to 1.5.1.

I use it in my customized Daisy Rae Gemini theme:

<div id="hmenu">

<?php
      if (function_exists('list_all_wpmu_blogs')) {
      list_all_wpmu_blogs('100','name','
    • ','
    • ','first_created');
      } else {
      wp_list_pages('depth=1&sort_column=menu_order&title_li=');
      }
      ?>

</div>

Erik

8. kevvin
    Posted 15 years ago #

Knew there had to be a smarter way than the one I was using.

9. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Do note though that lists like that put a lot of strain on a server if they have to be recompiled each and every time that page is accessed.

You may want to work out a method where the data is compiled once an hour and either saved as a static page within your site or as an option within the blog displaying the data.

10. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by jmatdrama2
  • Latest reply from andrea_r