The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

1 2 3

Needing a new host ... (62 posts)

1. billdennis5
    Posted 15 years ago #

Granted, I probably should have done with a dedicated server and NOT a shared hosting environment at the start. Nevertheless, I am now in need of a new host. It's nothing against my current host. They offer only shared accounts and VPS. I'm pretty certain I should muck up any server I had to manage on my own, so I need something managed.

I've been looking at getting a managed dedicated server.

Any recommendations? How much I expect to pay per month?

2. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

Managed dedicated?

$500+/month, at least.

Especially if you're not going to handle the basic server tasks, and have to ask them to do every little thing.

3. billdennis5
    Posted 15 years ago #

Perhaps I am not using the right term. I see a Business 1 plan offered by 1&1 for $99 a month here, for example.

4. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

You're kidding, right?

You asked to be out of the situation you're in, with a managed dedicated server.

You're not going to get it for $99 a month. You can't even get an unmanaged dedicated server for that usually. Well, one that's going to run worth a crap, or isn't on some special.

Unmanaged, you're looking in the $200+ range, depending on specs. Managed, at least $500 a month.

Now, if you had dozens of boxes, you'd most likely get a price break. That's not quite the case though.

If you try to look for an unrealistic deal, you're going to be back where you're at. There is no magic plan, just like with shared hosting.

5. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

Looking at your example, let's dissect.

1) 100 MySQL databases
    Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? You get a dedicated server (supposedly), but can only have 100 databases. Sounds fishy to me.

2) 3,000 email accounts
    -- See above. Sounds fishy.

3) 50 FTP accounts?
    -- See above, again.

4) 600 Subdomain limit?
    -- Yet again, see above.

If you had a "dedicated" server, why would there be limits like that? It's dedicated, there should be no limits on things like that.

And that's just for starters.

6. billdennis5
    Posted 15 years ago #

I'm not kidding. Perhaps, I misused the phrase "dedicated server." I'm looking for an option that won't put me in the situation I am in now, where the server down for several minutes three or foru times a day because of excess server loads.

Are you seriously suggesting an WPMu site won't run well on anything less than something that runs around $399 a month? My site runs ADEQUATELY on the tiny little shared server I'm using now. But then, I only have 40 blogs, abotu half of whom update at least once a month.

I'm just wanting to make blogpeoria.com more reliable as I anticipate more members joining soon.

7. billdennis5
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yes, I definately didn't mean "dedicated" server. MY error.

8. Trent
    Posted 15 years ago #

Gridserver from Media Temple (gs) for 20 a month might help you out for "more advanced shared hosting" or get a (dv) from them for $50+. In fact, if you keep growth to a minimum and just want to run a hundred or so blogs, you can get away with a VPS just about anywhere.

Trent

9. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

Pretty much what Trent said, since you have a low blog count, posting frequency, and bandwidth.

However, if/as your site grows, be prepared for what it will take.

10. billdennis5
    Posted 15 years ago #

VPS scare me because while I *might* have the skills necessary for managing the server, I would be lost if I needed soem emergency support. I would prefer an option with day-to-day support.

And thanks for the clarity.

11. awarner20
    Posted 15 years ago #

@ billdennis5,

For what it's worth, I've been very happy with my host so far, although my MU site isn't even live yet and has only 6 blogs on it, and most of those are just for testing.

I found my host on the hosting list on wpmudev.org, and I've had to contact them only once so far. They were fast and helpful, with no B.S. "form" support emails.

SYN Hosting.
    http://synhosting.com/

12. billdennis5
    Posted 15 years ago #

mediatemple reports that WPMU 1.3 has been reported to work on their (gs) option. Of course, I'd need to run WPMU 1.5.1.

13. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

1.5.1 works just fine on MT.

Subdomain, or Subdirectory.

14. cafespain
    Posted 15 years ago #

I can confirm that MU 1.5.1 works on mediatemples grid server - however they have been having reliability problems with the gridserver over the past 6 months or so and I still have speed issues with the (now very) few sites that I have hosted there.

A Media temple DV is like a VPS but the majority of the management is handled for you - i.e. you don't need to install and maintain the operating system yourself.

MT are supposed to be releasing a new product to get around the problems with the Grid Server - http://www.mediatemple.net/labs/cs/ - but there isn't a date as of yet.

15. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

futurehosting.biz has very nice VPS packages and they are semi-managed. Which means you do have to do some of the work, but they have lots of docs and they will help out.

I'm kinda thinking what you really might want is a sys admin.

16. billdennis5
    Posted 15 years ago #

You mean HIRE someone to be sys admin? Lord.

17. billdennis5
    Posted 15 years ago #

I think most of my site issues will go away once I upgrade, (finally)and I can get answers to support questions. I don't envision my site having more than 50 bloggers, maybe 10-20 active.

I'll look into futurehosting.biz

18. wehican
    Posted 15 years ago #

If you can do without the subdomains Hostmonster is pretty good. Nice price and feature package, too.

19. billdennis5
    Posted 15 years ago #

Andrea-r: Did you know there's no email link on your Web site? How do prospective clients reach you?

20. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Huh. Really? There should be...

Oh yes, there it is.
    "You can contact me by emailing andrea at atypicalife dot net."
    Right between hourly rates & sample prices.

21. casstech
    Posted 15 years ago #

I have been using HostMySite and am very happy with them. It has been hard for me to find reliable shared hosting with a company that allows wildcard DNS entries. HMS allows wildcard DNS, and they have been reliable for me. I have about 10 accounts with them.

Technically, I am a reseller, but only to save the non-profits I support a few dollars.

Otherwise, features across many plans/hosts seem very similar.

Best wishes,

Rob

22. Jantima
    Posted 15 years ago #

I believe that you can find a good non managed, complete dedicated server for 100$ a month, but is not going to be a super powerfull game server or ultimate generation. Just, I would say, good as web server. It all really matters of your needs, how many users, and bandwidth, and what kind of performance you want. But since you are coming from a non ded server that is giving you major problems, I would say that even a basic server, even for 80$ a month would work fine for you. I am served from nac.net (15minuteserver.com for servers). But these are completely dedicated server, if you need any assistance they will have to charge you. Soo if you need a managed, it will for sure cost more. What I think is that there are companies out there that offer dedicated server with a control panel that helps you install "scripts" and you might find somebody that offer specific service or maybe even support to manage wordpress. Good Luck.

23. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

if you need any assistance they will have to charge you.

Make sure you review what gets charged and what's provided for free. We just went through this on another forum. Some places charge if you do more than 'x' number of reboots a month for example.

24. MrBrian
    Posted 15 years ago #

Based on your blog size, i would grab a VPS. Take a look at knownhost.com or jaguarpc.com - managed VPS's for around $30/m. I've been with knownhost before and they are really high quality, respond to tickets in 10 minutes max. Even sent me a christmas card one year.

Anyway, you just need to look around on webhostingtalk.com and see what people are talking about. I would recommend going with a company many people recommend if reliability and uptime is important. Smaller companies can have uptime issues and usually don't offer support, but can be really cheap.

25. cafespain
    Posted 15 years ago #

Just as another push :) at the moment I can't recommend slicehost highly enough. My sites have been ma.tted, weblogtoolcollectioned, and Google i/o 'ed (and most of this without wp-super-cache running, long story) and my other users still haven't noticed any slow down in their admin systems.

Their basic level is $20 a month and is more than adequate to get your started, after that you can gradually increase the required memory on your slice as your site grows.

26. demonicume
    Posted 15 years ago #

i just moved my site to vps this afternoon (futurehosting). let the headaches begin!

27. justinbaeder
    Posted 15 years ago #

I use MediaTemple (separate domains mapped to one WPMU installation), and have never had reliability problems of any type. $40 a month, including a MySQL container to cover the high DB usage. They don't specialize in WPMU, but it works, and their general support is great.

28. cafespain
    Posted 15 years ago #

@justinbaeder - did you go for a MediaTemple DPV?

29. mrarrow
    Posted 15 years ago #

I think this post http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=1059 covers the 'what host do you recommend'

By the way, I can backup MrBrian on his recommendation of knownhost.com. But enough - take a look at that link above!

30. Trent
    Posted 15 years ago #

For $40 a month, justinbaeder would be on the (gs) with the database container. (dv) plans start at $50/month on MT. Slicehost is cheaper for their VPS, but for the most part it is cheaper as it is "unmanaged" VPS much like a dedicated while other VPS hosts babysit you more.

If you are thinking about a dedicated server, maybe play with a slice from slicehost as it will somewhat prepare you for the difficulties of unmanaged dedicated servers.

Trent

1 2 3

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by billdennis5
  • Latest reply from tdjcbe