The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

domain mapping plugin - opinions? (32 posts)

1. gighen
    Posted 15 years ago #

i was looking for a plugin to set myblog42.com instead of myblog42.mywpmudomain.com and i found this one:

http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/Multi-Site-Manager

is this the appropriate one? are some of you using it? does it work properly?

Thank you

G.

2. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

I mean no disrespect but have you searched the forums for the previous discussions on this topic?

3. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

I found that plguin kinda buggy.

4. gighen
    Posted 15 years ago #

@tdjbe: YES, but actually most of the post don't report the plugin version they're using, plus a lot of them report problems while for somebodyelse everything seems working really well,so why?

actually andrea_r is en expert user so if he/she said it's buggy i'll think more than twice before use it :)

thank you anyway

5. enseignement
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yes, but afaik it's the only plugin that does it automatically. Am I wrong ?

6. gighen
    Posted 15 years ago #

no, it's the only one i've found

7. cafespain
    Posted 15 years ago #

I've not had any problems (that I've noticed) with the plugin so far.

8. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yeah it's the only one out there. Go ahead and give it a try, see if it works out well for you. I did notice in some circumstances it didn't consistently recreate a site. And in others, there were still extra steps you had to take to make sure the new site worked right.

9. enseignement
    Posted 15 years ago #

Maybe there is someone that wants to give this plugin a second life ? :-)
    I saw that feature on wordpress.com and I think it's an amazing added value to a blog platform ... maybe a wpmupremium plugin ?

10. cafespain
    Posted 15 years ago #

Ha ha ha - Just found a problem - maybe I should have kept my mouth shut :(

11. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

"maybe a wpmupremium plugin"

I have a funny feeling, maybe a gut instinct or something, that ones breath shouldn't be held on that one.

12. enseignement
    Posted 15 years ago #

I'm sorry ... I don't get your answers ... Why do you think it is funny ?

13. cafespain
    Posted 15 years ago #

I think because Andrew and Farms are likely to be too busy to work on one :)

14. enseignement
    Posted 15 years ago #

oh ? Really ? That would be awesome !!!

15. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

I don't think it's funny. I'm simply stepping out on the limb a bit and trying to politely say that I honestly doubt you will see such a plugin offered on the premium site.

While I could very well be wrong, in the past I've had similar instincts on certain things people wanted them to make as a premium plugin, and was correct every time.

So in essence, while I don't speak for Andrew or James, I would hate for someone to build up a rumor or give people the impression that they will be doing so.

Next thing you know, the "gimme code" munchers will be coming back to this thread and begging for updated information on something which doesn't exist.

16. andrewbillits
    Posted 15 years ago #

Luke is correct guys. At this time (and for the foreseeable future) there are no plans to release such a plugin on wpmudev premium.

Thanks,
    Andrew

17. enseignement
    Posted 15 years ago #

OK. No problem ...
    I'll wait .. and if something comes up ... then i'll be really happy. If not, I have to do it myself ;-)

18. selad
    Posted 15 years ago #

Well, I have been using it without real issues for some time now.

19. honewatson
    Posted 15 years ago #

I've used the multi site plugin to set up hundreds of domains on a single install.

I haven't noticed a single bug, but that's just my experience.

20. honewatson
    Posted 15 years ago #

Actually I lie.

I had to make another plugin called makepublic.php to put in mu-plugins. Blogs were being created with noindex nofollow. makepublic.php makes the new blogs public.

Here is the code for makepublic.php

<?php
    function set_custom_defaults($blog) {
        update_blog_option($blog, 'blog_public', 1);
    }
    add_action( 'wpmu_new_blog', 'set_custom_defaults');
    ?>
  21. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yeah, that was an MU bug. :)

22. demonicume
    Posted 15 years ago #

i've never used the multi site plugin because i'm on subdirs - i couldn't get it to work properly. but for future reference, does this plugin prevent sitewide plugins from working properly. like say i'm hosting 100 domains on my mu install - will things like sitewide feed pull a feed for the entire install or will recent posts pull posts from across the entire install?

23. honewatson
    Posted 15 years ago #

That's a good question demonicume. I don't know since I do not use any of these additional plugins.

However, it shouldn't be hard to make these plugins do that if they don't.

24. selad
    Posted 15 years ago #

demonicume - yes, the sitewide feed plugin will pull feeds from all domains as it does not check for the site id.

25. ddean
    Posted 15 years ago #

if anyone has problems with this plugin, I can not encourage you enough to come over to wpmudev.org and let me know - a legitimate bug would be a nice break from all the htaccess problems and unrelated questions

I know andrea_r lurks over there, but has not mentioned any bugs - don't be shy!

26. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Do we have a thread over there about this? Usually the premium forum is for premium plugins *only*, not ones Andrew hasn't written.

I'm not shy, I'm busy. :)

And by bugs - I should probably clarify that to mean "does not work as expected". If I had a blog as a site, I feel it should work right off. I shouldn't have to either go edit stuff in the database or in the edit blogs area before it actually works. And the part with checking the boxes to enable more options for the cloned site? Needs to be simplified. THe Site Admin does not always transfer to the sub site. It's real fun being locked out on an irregular basis.

27. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

I believe it means in the comments for the project.

28. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

heh, okay I now realize what area you mean over at wpmudev.org (the actual plugins page.)

I think I gave you enough to chew on for a bit. ;) I should probably add that I've tried this on 3 different types of servers & setups. When a large number of domains are involved, at best, it's a laborious process for something that should be easier. At worst, it became a nightmare of unpredictability. not something I (or that particular client) wanted to use on a legit business site involving hundreds & thousands of domains.

On the other hand, I cna see this kind of plugin being used a lot by spammers & splogs, so that's part of the reason I've been quiet about it. :) make sense? the other reason is client confidentiality.

29. ddean
    Posted 15 years ago #

I am aware of the spam potential - which is why I stepped away for awhile when it seemed like legitimate interest was way down, and why I didn't create the plugin as a bulk site creator. If anyone is looking for a bulk site creator, they will probably find it slow as care has been taken to do things in a 'Wordpress' way (using built-in functions when possible and supporting action and filter hooks).

Of course I would very much like to hear about any intermittent behavior, which is most disconcerting. I have never seen a complaint about a sometime failure to copy sitemeta, nor have I ever experienced it myself. Then again, we only have about a dozen sites in production with less than 50 total blogs, so maybe it's a scale thing. Any details you or anyone else experiencing an issue like this could provide would be most helpful.

As far as the sitemeta option ui, a revision was obsoleted by the change from 'allowed_themes' to 'allowedthemes' back in the 1.2 days, so the ui was added to prevent future issues. I am totally open to any ui paradigm anyone thinks would be more appropriate.

30. musnake
    Posted 15 years ago #

Having installed and played with the plugin over the past week I've got to say that one great undocumented feature is the ability to (shut your eyes Andrea) go to your host and say "HA! vhost can't be set up correctly or else blah would occur!"

The deal breaker for me is the out-of-the-box cookie issue with integrated fora e.g. bbPress. I had hoped to have one forum to rule them all by casing the blogid (or other identifier) in bbPress's config before specifying that particular blog's user table and cookie domain but the wheels fell off... (time alloted)

Apparently git'Rdone doesn't include integration and testing.

The plugin worked as advertised for me (v4).

WPMu 1.5.1 subdomain method
    Apache 2x
    PHP 5x
    MySQL 5x

Some hosts use "a tool" that appends new serveralias directives to the conf file. That's fine as long as they go in and manually move your parked domain info' above/before the primary domain's wildcard glob. Doing what they always do is not the same as doing it correctly for this setup... Hey, my host is gracious enough to permit this, stuff, until someone signs up and I get kicked off...

Plugin: Very niiice.

About this Topic