The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Pingomatic thinks I just requested a ping when I hadn't (6 posts)

1. t3ch33
    Posted 15 years ago #

I'm testing an install of MU and I know for a fact that no one has written a post in at least 4 hours. I went to Pingomatic and tried to enter the information for one of the blogs and got the "Slow down cowboy! You're pinging us too fast. Your last ping was less than a few minutes ago" message from Pingomatic. Why? Has this site been banned by Pingomatic?

2. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Did you create any blogs? I can't remember if a ping goes out as it contains a new (ie the default) post.

3. t3ch33
    Posted 15 years ago #

Nope. I was just submitting a blog that hadn't been indexed yet. No one touched the site in at least 4 hours. There were no new blogs created and no new posts written.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Coulda been pinged on setup. the system hits pingomatic automatically - you don't have to submit anything to it.

5. t3ch33
    Posted 15 years ago #

I was just wondering why some of the blogs were not indexed yet. Thanks for letting me know that, though. Also, maybe you guys should change that. Should a blog be pinged just because it was set up? Couldn't sploggers abuse this? How do I stop the system from pinging on setup, and make it ping after x amount of posts? Thanks.

Also, the only reason I asked if the domain was banned in the first place is because I thought pingomatic was somehow owned by the same people who own WordPress. How can I contact them directly to find out for sure? They're blog hasn't been updated in over two years. :o lol.

6. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

"How do I stop the system from pinging on setup, and make it ping after x amount of posts?"

If the public knew that, or there was something publicly available, the spammers would just post that many posts to get around it.

Just for the record, if you think they don't have eyes watching the forums here for stuff like that, think again. They'll do anything they can to get a leg up, them bastards!

About this Topic