The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

changing admin email (7 posts)

1. corbosman
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi all, I noticed something that I think is incorrect behavior. When I want to change my admin email address for any blog I can only ask for a certain email address once without validating the email I then get. If I dont get the email (spam filters, no quota, whatever), I can not request a second mail for that same address because the code remembers that I already asked for that form option and sees they're the same and ignores it. (wp-includes/functions.php:update_option();)

I think you should be able to re-try this specific option as often as you want, but maybe it's somehow intended to be the way it it now?

2. awarner20
    Posted 15 years ago #

I'm not sure is this is default behavior. I'll try this out on my own install and give some feedback.

3. awarner20
    Posted 15 years ago #

Great website, really amazing photos!

I was able to change my admin email address multiple times with no visible issues.

Can you describe where you're at when trying this? Logged in as MU admin, logged in as User admin? Etc...

4. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Is it a hotmail address?

5. corbosman
    Posted 15 years ago #

I create a regular user account+blog (wpmu 1.5.1). I then go to 'settings', and then change the email address to a different one.

Now I wait for the email to arrive where I need to validate this.

Let's assume the email isnt arriving, because I ran out of quota and the mail bounced. I delete some mail, and go to 'settings' again and change my email address again to the same email address I did before.

The page now loads as if things got changed, but you will not get a second validation email.

I have confirmed this in the code, and unless Im totally mistaken on how this works, it can not happen.

Cor

6. viulian
    Posted 15 years ago #

I just discovered the same behavior on my wpmu blogs.
    A user attempted to change his admin email, did not get any notification at the new email address, and now, even if I put in a new address [I = wp admin], it still resets back to the previous one without sending another notification.

7. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

it still resets back to the previous one without sending another notification

Does that mean you checked the email server logs to see what occurred? Was there any error in there? Was there any record of an attempt to send the email? Are you just assuming that it didn't go since it appears it never arrived?

Depending on what you're running for an email server (Insert standard "Please read the debugging page that the readme file links to especially in this case since it specifically tells you to check the logs when emails don't get sent" clause) you have two email server logs, one for actual traffic and one for errors. If this is the case, please be sure to check both.

Also it depends on the receiving host. Some hosts will block emails sent by php scripts or mark them as spam. You may also be located in an ip block that make be used by spammers and it may be blocked for that reason as well. (Which is why you should always include a link so folks can check. Again, please review the debugging page.)

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by corbosman
  • Latest reply from tdjcbe