The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

WPMU plugin to email notification of post publish--?? (9 posts)

1. jlanderson
    Posted 15 years ago #

i'd like to be able to automatically generate an email to all my registered users on my WPMU whenever a new post goes up. does such a plugin exist for WPMU? i've done some searching, can't seem to find what i'm looking for.

essentially i'm looking for something like the "Post-Notification" or "Subscribe2" plugins, only for WPMU. (i tried installing both of those plugins, but they're written for single-user. didn't work.)

2. awarner20
    Posted 15 years ago #

Interesting question, I was just thinking about this. It would be nice to know when anyone on my MU install posted something new.

3. boonika
    Posted 15 years ago #

I was using Subscribe2 (version 3.6) on my MU 1.3.3 install and it was working just fine.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

take the sitewide feed, run it thru feedburner, use their email feature.

5. awarner20
    Posted 15 years ago #

...and andrea_r steps in to make things easy;)

6. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

Probably a good idea too.

From what it looks like, the potential amount of mail processing would probably bring your mail to a screeching halt.

If you had 100 regular bloggers posting 3 times a day, and say 200 users registered overall, that would be something like 60,000 emails being sent a day.

And that's using low numbers. A really active site with more users, bloggers, and posts? A small fortune for mail servers might cover it, but you might have to win the lottery.

7. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Although I did answer the question, I wonder - why not just monitor the sitewide feed? I check my own site a few times a day. There's *nothing* that comes up in a post that needs immediate attention.

If it did, someone would email me.

(If you;re thinking spam, there's other ways to fix that.)

8. awarner20
    Posted 15 years ago #

Good points. I've signed up for email subscriptions to my own sitewide feed, and for now, it won't be an issue as I don't have that many blogs. But time will tell.

9. jlanderson
    Posted 15 years ago #

good points about the potential mail server explosion... as it happens, though, this is a small, internal blog w/ a limited number of registrants posting to it. the automatic email notification was requested specifically, or i would most certainly be advocating just subscribing to the feed. :)

i might use Feedburner's email feature, though. i'll also check my version numbers...

thanks for the suggestions!

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by jlanderson
  • Latest reply from jlanderson