The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Does bbPress or any other forum/board ware work with wpmu? (19 posts)

1. HiMY
    Posted 18 years ago #

What if any forum software / plug-in works with wpmu?

Thanks.

2. andrewbillits
    Posted 18 years ago #

bbpress works very well with wpmu. If you open up bbpress's config file you'll see a few options that will allow you to tag a bbpress install onto your alreadu existing users table within wpmu.

:)

3. HiMY
    Posted 18 years ago #

Thanks Andrew,

I've now tried xdforum and can't get it to work with wpmu, keep getting database errors.

And after an hour or so, I can't figure out bbpress either.

Yeah Yeah, I am a wpmu newbie here and know just enough to get into trouble.

What directory do I upload the bbpress files into? I haven't been able to google or search it up anywhere...

http://www.example.org/bbpress/bb-admin

or

http://www.example.org/wp-inst/bbpress/bb-admin

or

http://www.example/wp-inst/wp-content or .../wp-plugins

and in the bb-config file,

// Change the prefix if you want to have multiple forums in a single database.
    $bb_table_prefix = 'bb_';

do I change the 'bb_' to 'wp_' ?

I left the 'wp_' as is when I originally installed wpmu.

I know I know these are such a simple questions.

Thank again in advance.

4. andrewbillits
    Posted 18 years ago #

Most people just put the bbpress files in a directory called "forums" or "support".

As for the prefix, I don't think it matters as long as you set the option to share a user table correctly
    :)

5. NickR
    Posted 18 years ago #

What does sharing a database between bbpress and wpmu do? I have bbpress as my support forums, but it's database is not shared with the wpmu database...

6. andrewbillits
    Posted 18 years ago #

it's actually just the user table that's shared. It allows bbpress to pull off of wpmu's user data so that people don't have to create and maintain a seperate account for bbpress.

7. NickR
    Posted 18 years ago #

oooh, that is very helpful, but I don't have time, nor do I feel like making them share right now...

8. ergate
    Posted 18 years ago #

The one big downside to sharing the users table is, everytime a user registers at the forum, the username is now nolonger available to be used as a blog. Since the username is also the blog name.

9. andrewbillits
    Posted 18 years ago #

That can be fixed pretty easily by just commenting out a few lines of code in bbpress.

10. Farms
    Posted 18 years ago #

Call me a complete divot but could someone share with me what I need to change to synch user dbases between the two.

I tried installing bbpress using the same dbase settings & wp_ but it claimed that it was already installed (obviously assuming the WPMU tables there were actually bbpress ones).

So I installed it with bb_ instead and it's all good but am lost as to which file I need to edit to get it to run users against the wp user table rather than the bb one...

any help *enormously* appreciated!

Cheers, James

11. ergate
    Posted 18 years ago #

There used to be a *really* good thread on here, with all kinds of integration, admin etc. but that is lost to the restart.
    I will do my best to share what I know.
    To only share users between WP (WPMU) and bbPRess, open bb-config.php file and after
    $bb->gmt_offset = -5;

add

// use the WP user table for your bbpress user list
    define('CUSTOM_USER_TABLE', 'wp_users');

You can actually place the "define" line in various locations, but I have had the most luck there. There is more code and lines to try and share cookies, themes, make logins carry over from wp to bbpress. I will spend some time and try and dig all that up, or find links to reference it. But in the mean time, there is more info in this thread from teh bbpress mailing list.
    http://comox.textdrive.com/pipermail/bbdev/2005-December/000452.html

more later

12. Forevagrey
    Posted 18 years ago #

I understand everything except where, in which file area, to place my entire folder. Can some one explain where i need to place all my files in?

when i try placing it in domain.com/wp-inst/forum/ or domain.com/forum/ it never seems to work.

13. Farms
    Posted 18 years ago #

Ergate thanks :) Am trying it now.

Forevagrey you need to drop an .htaccess file into the folder domain.com/forum/ to turn off rewrite rules, all it needs in it is:

RewriteEngine Off

14. Farms
    Posted 18 years ago #

w00t! It works :D Thankyou!

15. Forevagrey
    Posted 18 years ago #

Thanks! I got it install and got it to run wp-user instead of bb_user, however i got errors in the Recently Moderated part of the screen in the admin CP

16. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

eargate when I tried to use the code from your site I got the following error:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare wp_specialchars() in /home/....../public_html/forums/bb-includes/wp-functions.php on line 5

17. modifiedcontent
    Posted 17 years ago #

Forevagrey, I haven't tried integrating WPMU+BBpress yet (an earlier attempt failed), but I get errors in Recently Moderated as well.

I assume it's a bug in BBpress. Does anyone else have that problem? BBpress has no forum to check.

18. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Ignore the errors in recently moderated. They'll go away once you start deleteing spammers and their posts.

19. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

I just can't seem to make this work guys.

When I try and insert only the following code in my bb-config.php (now config.php) file:

define('CUSTOM_USER_TABLE', 'wp_users');

The install works fine, but I don't get to share user tables. Do I need to change the table prefix from bb_ to wp_? And once this is working should my bloggers be able to visit the support forums without having to register and login there also?

EDIT: in the sections where I define the database settings for BBpress, should I be pointing it to my wpmu database instead of my freshly created bbpress one? I have people blogging on my site right now and really don't want to screw anything up on the wpmu database.

About this Topic