The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Need help Setting up WPMU Multi-Site (8 posts)

1. applerepair
    Posted 15 years ago #

We’re currently running 10+ sites on a hacked installation of Wordpress. We've trimmed it down to be more of a CMS than a blogging platform. It's become too tough to manage and so we've decided on MU. We've got MU running with multi-site on Bluehost. Now we need help to manage the content and make it specific to each site. The general idea is that each site caters to a specific geographic area, and through a variable replace function (which we need help setting up) the different sites show unique content.

We want run all the domains (40+) from one installation, using variables (for content, links, and images) where needed.

We've got MU set up on Bluehost with wildcard subdomains. The multi-site plugin is working, but we need assistance in getting all of the sites configured. . The budget is a little tight, but let’s talk about it and see if we can work together. Send us some info about yourself. Portfolio, pricing schedules, etc. We’ll get back with everyone that makes contact.

2. chinafla
    Posted 15 years ago #

My English is not very good, I'll try to explain it, if I've correctly got your points.

there is a update-wpmu-global-option plugins which you can use to config all your sites at one time, not one by one.

to show different contents according to specific geographic area, maybe be done through get the IP of the visitor, and sent him/her to the site caters his/her area.

it's not very complicated if you know something about php.

since I'm living in China, I can't fix that for you, so I just leave some lines here.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

*scratches head*

maybe I'm confused, or maybe it's not explained properly, but I'm trying to figure out what you mean by "we need help to manage the content and make it specific to each site".

Each blog is separate with its own content, when you update that blog, change widgets, themes, whatever. Are you somehow looking to automate that process?

4. applerepair
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi Andrea,

Maybe I didn't explain properly. Basically, we are a computer company providing service on many different brands in different cities. The overall content is 70% the same from site to site. The variances come in when we substitute variables, such as city, brand name, phone number, etc, and specific information for each location.

5. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Do these variables show up in content areas or in theme areas, like sidebar / footer / headers?

(mostly just curious)

6. applerepair
    Posted 15 years ago #

The variables show up mostly in content but also in link headings, sidebars, and long link names.

7. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

And you're looking to get that automated?

8. MrBrian
    Posted 15 years ago #

I get what your looking for and could even automate the creation of the blogs. Let me know your budget though.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by applerepair
  • Latest reply from MrBrian