The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Blog Specific Themes (8 posts)

1. DailyTestimony
    Posted 15 years ago #

Is there a plugin that will give each blog it's own theme directory, such as wp-content/blogs.dir/id/themes/
    , and the blog admin can select a common theme that I have enabled or one from their theme directory. The reason is I want to have an upgrade that would give you ftp access to your blogs theme directory so you can have a fully custom theme.

2. awarner20
    Posted 15 years ago #

Wow, if this can be accomplished without security risks, you will be very popular 'round these parts.

3. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

Um, yeah. Granting FTP access and letting users upload themes is a security nightmare from hell.

OTOH, letting them send the theme to you, which you then take a fine tooth comb to, might be an option if you can spot malicious code.

4. DailyTestimony
    Posted 15 years ago #

well it's not exactly something anyone can just spend $10 to get the upgrade, I'm planning for it to be part of a premium package type deal, simular to wordpress.com's VIP Hosting.

And considering my client base security is not as big as an issue as it would be for most people. Plus with how few would actually have this premium package I could even impliment a review process if I wanted.

The main thing is I want a way to gove each blogs its own theme directory. I belive i've heard of such a thing I'mnot sure where to find it however.

5. demonicume
    Posted 15 years ago #

come on, fellas, who'd hack a god-blog? *evil smirk*

6. DailyTestimony
    Posted 15 years ago #

Well the service it would be included in is geared towards churches, and christian orginizations, not demonicume. :p

I don't see why something like this wouldn't exist it has several other uses:

1) A company has a blog network for their employees to blog at, at you want to let the employees use ay theme they want

2) A blog site like wordpress.com, offer an upgrade where you can submit a custom theme, which is reviewed for saftey then put up for you to have access to

and i'm sure there is more uses as well.

7. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

"come on, fellas, who'd hack a god-blog? *evil smirk* "

A devil-blog?

8. mysorehead
    Posted 15 years ago #

I've done something similar with my group blogs having different themes to normal blogs and posted about this elsewhere in these forums.

eg.
    add_filter('theme_root', 'rgo_group_blog_theme');

function rgo_group_blog_theme($thedir) {
    if ( is_group_blog() ) {
    return ABSPATH . "wp-content/mu-plugins/group_themes";
    } else {
    return $thedir;
    }
    }

Hope this helps,
    Richard

About this Topic