The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

How to : Multi-Site Manager Plugin On Dreamhost (7 posts)

1. hamzamusa
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi

I Installed Wordpress MU on Dreamhost , so as Multi-Site Manager Plugin , everything is working fine , Subdomains and wildcard .

though , i need to make Multi-Site Manager Plugin working . i found this tutorial
    http://www.brilliances.com/multisite-manager-with-wordpress-mu/

though Parking Domains on dreamhost means :
    "indicates that the domain is parked. DreamHost displays a place-holder web site with a generic DreamHost 'coming soon' message."

http://wiki.dreamhost.com/Domains_Control_Panel

How do i fix this ?!

2. zone19
    Posted 15 years ago #

have you tried it with a fully hosted domain instead of parked?

3. demonicume
    Posted 15 years ago #

i think you need some way to point that hosted domain at your install. you need to be able to change A Name records. I don't think this is going to work on dreamhost. even if it did, i think hosting your own domains on one of their shared accounts violates your TOS. someone get me if i'm lying, but you could risk losing everything. I've seen DH refuse to even provide a working backup for the people it dumps.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

you *point* the add-on domain towards your root install. MU handles everything else.

That's *how* you do it, but it would also be a good idea to look into DH's TOS and see if you're allowed to.

5. hamzamusa
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks alot , for the replies :

after i contacted them , they asked me to make sure the domains i want to be with " www " , then they'll change something ( that i can't change ) , though after that they change ( point ) the CNAME to my wordpress MU install , ( which didn't work - yet - so am still waiting )

they ( the support ) didn't mention anything about violating TOS !!!!

Plus How come that would be a violating of TOS , and wordpressMU mentioned in their wiki .http://wiki.dreamhost.com/WordPress_MU

P.s ( I want WordpressMU for my own Use , To handle some Projects for me and my clients in simple one install )

Is there any other hosting u suggest to use would be easy to handle ( i can do the configuration myself ) WordpressMU with Multi-Site Plugin ?!!

6. demonicume
    Posted 15 years ago #

just protect yourself. i'm not gonna bash DH, but I know a few people who've had devastating issues. just make sure that they don't have a problem with you hosting domains from your shared account. get it in writing, too.

7. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

, they asked me to make sure the domains i want to be with " www " , "

Um, no you don't want thee with www because MU will strip that off.

As for TOS violations, as long as you're using it for your own use and do not have open registration and a small number of blogs, you should be okay. In most cases. In some? Not so much.

(Disclaimer to anyone else: DO not try to start up your own version of wordpress.com on a shared server. You'll get booted. yes, yes you will.)

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by hamzamusa
  • Latest reply from andrea_r