The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

sub domain /wp-login.php - 404 error (11 posts)

1. shredder
    Posted 18 years ago #

Hi,

I'm working with a new install of WP MU, the basic installation seems to have gone OK.

I've now moved on to create a new test blog; via the link on my new index page, it seemed to work;

- tesst blog is showing in admin backend
    - email sent to user
    - etc., etc..
    - http://test.domain.com does show a page (of sorts, but its actual content might be specifically related to my host)

The problem I'm having now is that:

- login via http://test.domain.com/wp-login.php <-- brings up a 404 - page not found error

- and -

From within the Admin backend:

- Site Admin > Blogs > TestBlog > Backend <-- brings up a 404 - page not found error

I've looked through as many avenues here as I can think of but haven't found anything to point me in the right direction.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can resolve this?

Cheers,

2. shredder
    Posted 18 years ago #

I'm still trying to find the root-cause of this problem.

As an update, I've tried the .htaccess files (2 off) available from ITDamager http://www.itdamager.com/2005/12/10/wpmu-and-htaccess/ (man, dark grey text on a black background sucks! Sorry, but it does) the site still works ;) but the problem remains.

At the moment I don't know where to look for the cause of the problem.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

3. veeblog
    Posted 18 years ago #

me too. i can't open wp-login.php (Error 500! /wpmu/wp-inst/wp-login.php Internal Server Error!)
    try to view> http://miniplayground.com/wpmu/wp-inst/wp-login.php

oh, i've already got the username/password.

help me please

4. shredder
    Posted 18 years ago #

veeblog: are the following two lines in your .htaccess file?

php_flag register_globals 0
    php_flag display_errors 0

From the README.txt file in your install directory:

This is NOT included in that file by default because it doesn't work on all machines. If it doesn't work on your machine, you'll get a cryptic "500 internal error" after you install WPMU. To remove the offending lines just edit the file ".htaccess" in your install directory and you'll see them at the top. Delete and save the file again.

That may help you?

5. veeblog
    Posted 18 years ago #

ah.. it's still doesn't work. but thanks anyway. :D

just make sure. my .htaccess is 'htaccess.dist' is it right?

//edited// my htaccess.dist
    (i've removed the two lines that you told.)

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase BASE/

# Rewrite http://www.domain.com to domain.com
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www\.(.*)
    RewriteRule ^(.*) http://%1/$1 [R,L]

###
    #### blogs
    ###
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/templates/(.*) BASE/wp-inst/wp-content/blogs/$1/templates/$2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/files/(.*) BASE/wp-inst/wp-content/blogs.php?file=$1 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wp-content/blogs/(.*)/files/(.*) BASE/wp-inst/wp-content/blogs.php?file=$3 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wp-content/themes/(.*) BASE/wp-inst/wp-content/themes/$2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^wp-content/themes/(.*) BASE/wp-inst/wp-content/themes/$1 [L]

# rewrite these
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/category/(.*)/page/(.*)/ BASE/wp-inst/index.php?wpblog=$1&category_name=$2&paged=$3 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/category/(.*)/(feed|rdf|rss|rss2|atom)/?$ BASE/wp-inst/wp-feed.php?wpblog=$1&category_name=$2&feed=$3 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/category/?(.*) BASE/wp-inst/index.php?wpblog=$1&category_name=$2 [L]

RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/tag/(.*)/page/(.*)/ BASE/wp-inst/index.php?wpblog=$1&category_name=$2&paged=$3 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/tag/(.*)/(feed|rdf|rss|rss2|atom)/?$ BASE/wp-inst/wp-feed.php?wpblog=$1&category_name=$2&feed=$3 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/tag/?(.*) BASE/wp-inst/index.php?wpblog=$1&category_name=$2 [L]

RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/author/(.*)/(feed|rdf|rss|rss2|atom)/?$ BASE/wp-inst/wp-feed.php?wpblog=$1&author_name=$2&feed=$3 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/author/?(.*) BASE/wp-inst/index.php?wpblog=$1&author_name=$2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/([0-9]{4})/?([0-9]{1,2})?/?([0-9]{1,2})?/?([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)?/?([0-9]+)?/?$ BASE/wp-inst/index.php?wpblog=$1&year=$2&monthnum=$3&day=$4&name=$5&page=$6 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/([0-9]{4})/?([0-9]{1,2})/([0-9]{1,2})/([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/(feed|rdf|rss|rss2|atom)/?$ BASE/wp-inst/wp-feed.php?wpblog=$1&year=$2&monthnum=$3&day=$4&name=$5&feed=$6 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/([0-9]{4})/?([0-9]{1,2})/([0-9]{1,2})/([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/trackback/?$ BASE/wp-inst/wp-trackback.php?wpblog=$1&year=$2&monthnum=$3&day=$4&name=$5 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/page/?([0-9]+)?/?$ BASE/wp-inst/index.php?paged=$2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/feed/?([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)?/?$ BASE/wp-inst/wp-feed.php?wpblog=$1&feed=$2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/comments/feed/?([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)?/?$ BASE/wp-inst/wp-feed.php?wpblog=$1&feed=$2&withcomments=1 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/archives/p/([0-9]+)/?(.*)? BASE/wp-inst/index.php?wpblog=$1&redirect=yes&p=$2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/archives/cat/([0-9]+)/?(.*)? BASE/wp-inst/index.php?wpblog=$1&redirect=yes&cat=$2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/archives/m/([0-9]+)\#?(.*)? BASE/wp-inst/index.php?wpblog=$1&redirect=yes&m=$2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/b2rss2.php(.*)? BASE/wp-inst/wp-feed.php?wpblog=$1&feed=rss2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/b2rdf.php(.*)? BASE/wp-inst/wp-feed.php?wpblog=$1&feed=rdf [L]

# We want to pass these files straight through
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wp-comments-post.php(.*) BASE/wp-inst/wp-comments-post.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/go.php(.*) BASE/wp-inst/go.php$2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/pages/(.*) BASE/wp-inst/pages/$2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wp-admin/(.*) BASE/wp-inst/wp-admin/$2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wp-atom.php(.*) BASE/wp-inst/wp-atom.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wp-comments-popup.php(.*) BASE/wp-inst/wp-comments-popup.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wp-comments-post.php(.*) BASE/wp-inst/wp-comments-post.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wp-commentsrss2.php(.*) BASE/wp-inst/wp-commentsrss2.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wp-counter.php(.+)? BASE/wp-inst/wp-counter.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wp-feed.php(.*) BASE/wp-inst/wp-feed.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wp-images/(.*) BASE/wp-inst/wp-images/$2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wp-links-opml.php(.*) BASE/wp-inst/wp-links-opml.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wp-login.php(.*) BASE/wp-inst/wp-login.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wp-mail.php(.*) BASE/wp-inst/wp-mail.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wp-pass.php(.*) BASE/wp-inst/wp-pass.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wp-rdf.php(.*) BASE/wp-inst/wp-rdf.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wp-register.php(.*) BASE/wp-inst/wp-register.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wp-rss.php(.*) BASE/wp-inst/wp-rss.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wp-rss2.php(.*) BASE/wp-inst/wp-rss2.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wp-sidebar.php(.*) BASE/wp-inst/wp-sidebar.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wp-trackback.php(.*) BASE/wp-inst/wp-trackback.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/xmlrpc.php(.*) BASE/wp-inst/xmlrpc.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/maintenance.php BASE/wp-inst/maintenance.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/favicon.ico BASE/wp-inst/favicon.ico [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wp-includes/images/(.*) BASE/wp-inst/wp-includes/images/$2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/wp-includes/js/(.*) BASE/wp-inst/wp-includes/js/$2 [L]

RewriteRule ^wp-newblog.php$ BASE/wp-inst/wp-newblog.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^wp-login.php BASE/wp-inst/wp-login.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^wp-admin/(.*) BASE/wp-inst/wp-admin/$1 [L]
    RewriteRule ^wp-includes/images/(.*) BASE/wp-inst/wp-includes/images/$1 [L]
    RewriteRule ^wp-includes/js/(.*) BASE/wp-inst/wp-includes/js/$1 [L]
    RewriteRule ^signup/ BASE/wp-inst/wp-newblog.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^invite/(.*)/? BASE/wp-inst/wp-newblog.php?u=$1 [L]
    RewriteRule ^index.php BASE/wp-inst/index.php [L]

RewriteRule ^$ BASE/wp-inst/index.php [L]

# catch all rules
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+)/ BASE/wp-inst/index.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+) $1/ [R,L]

AddType text/css .css

6. shredder
    Posted 18 years ago #

htaccess-dist I think is the base file that that comes with the package you first install. When you complete your installation from the web page installer it is copied to .htaccess automatically by the installer.

The .htaccess file is the one that you should look for - the dot at the beginning is important.

If you on are using Linux and you do not see that file you should use this command:

dir -a

or

ll -a

Any files that start with the dot are normally hidden. If you use the above commands it will show you the hidden files.

.htaccess is the file that you should edit

7. shredder
    Posted 18 years ago #

Picking Up On My Original Post

I've stripped everything down to start afresh and installed without enabling vhosts; so sub.mydomain.com are disabled - but it works, I've been able to create test blogs within the domain.com/test structure.

- So -

It suggests to me that something's going wrong with the structure of the .htaccess file (???) but I know that stuff as much as I know how to pilot the space shuttle.

Anyone any pointers?

Please?

8. maxius
    Posted 18 years ago #

Are you sure vhosts and mod-rewrite are installed properly and enabled?

9. shredder
    Posted 18 years ago #

maxius: yes, well, er, at least I think so ;)

Update: this issue has been resolved. The key to it was adding ServerAlias *.domain.com to this domain's Apache conf file. Now the vanilla install works as it should; no need for IT Damager's .htaccess file(s) (which didn't work for me anyway).

Hopefully this info will help someone else too.

10. shredder
    Posted 18 years ago #

PS: be aware that this fix does mean that anything.domain.com becomes valid, but I'm not aware of any security issues this raises.

11. shredder
    Posted 18 years ago #

but I'm not aware of any security issues this raises

duh!

Like I would be if it jumped up and bit me... but I'm sure you know what I mean!

About this Topic

• Started 18 years ago by shredder
  • Latest reply from shredder