The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

unable to create a new catagory (10 posts)

1. wowfood
    Posted 15 years ago #

ok, i'll try to explain best as possible. The wordpress thing installs fine. (well, it says it does, and i've tried a few installs and i've always had the same problem)

When i try to create a new catagory, i put in all the information fine, but when i click on "add catagory" it seems to.... open up the site above the data input area of the catagory, and below the current existing catagories.

This... "random opening of the page" thing isn't limited to just the create new catagory bit though. It also happens when i try to create new pages / posts. The website will for some reason open itself inside the screen when i move from the title bit, to the actual content bit of creating a post / page. REALLY confusing.

I should also point out that, when this... thing appears, it throws the entire pages style out of whack. Not exactly sure how to explain it. Its probably something stupid like my webservers messed up permisisions on php files or something either way its annoying.

2. wowfood
    Posted 15 years ago #

ok can't edit the above post.

The thing works perfectly fine in IE, so it may very well be a problem with firefox instead.

3. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Well if you're using "wordpress" then you're at the wrong site. These forums are for wordpress multiuser, a different software. It allows you to run a hosting site like edublogs.org

Wordpress support is here: http://wordpress.org/support/

Be sure to mention what specific version of wp you're running as well as browsers.

4. wowfood
    Posted 15 years ago #

i'm running wordpress mu 2.5.1 (the latest current one)

I found out what the problem is in the end anyway by sheer coincidence. The web hosts had something disabled mod_ something, after enabling that everything is running smoothly.

5. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

"i'm running wordpress mu 2.5.1 (the latest current one)"

Then it's Wordpressmu <b>1</b>.5.1

Wordpress is at 2.5.1

6. wowfood
    Posted 15 years ago #

gah, i'm confused now, i coulda sworn i'd downloaded it from this site. Either way the problems sorted now.

7. Bill008
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thank God Its no just me

This started happening to me outa the blue Everything working Fine added some plugin s still good uploaded some themes have since backed out the plugins

And now I get the same thing re my first posting below

http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=8694

all files present and accounted for looked at tons of postings and threads on this matter

This is occurring in all browsers

My logs

[24-Jun-2008 09:33:35] PHP Warning: require(/home/freeblog/public_html/wp-includes/category.php) [function.require]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/freeblog/public_html/wp-settings.php on line 222

[24-Jun-2008 09:33:35] PHP Fatal error: require() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/home/freeblog/public_html/wp-includes/category.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/freeblog/public_html/wp-settings.php on line 222

[24-Jun-2008 09:33:36] PHP Warning: require(/home/freeblog/public_html/wp-includes/category.php) [function.require]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/freeblog/public_html/wp-settings.php on line 222

[24-Jun-2008 09:33:36] PHP Fatal error: require() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/home/freeblog/public_html/wp-includes/category.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/freeblog/public_html/wp-settings.php on line 222

Im trying not to disrupt the system but sort of think I may have to upload new folders such as wp-admin wp-includes etc

I run the latest WordPress MU 1.5.1 version

Any suggestios would be welcome

Bill007

8. Bill008
    Posted 15 years ago #

here is a image of what happens in the back end notice how I get my whole site showing at the bottom of the cat upload form

When I'm posting this shows up to the left of the posting form and in place of the category check boxes

http://freeblog.co.nz/cat_iss.jpg

9. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

PHP Warning: require(/home/freeblog/public_html/wp-includes/category.php) [function.require]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/freeblog/public_html/wp-settings.php on line 222

It's telling you that it can't find /home/freeblog/public_html/wp-includes/category.php Did you check to see if it's there? If so, is it readable by the webserver?

I also checked and with 1.5.1, line 222 of wp-settings makes no mention of category.php. I'm seeing the call at line 293.

Is this an upgrade of an older version or a clean install?

Have you been playing with the files or doing any other editing?

10. Bill008
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yeah I know its telling me that it does not exist but I can assure you it does

this is a new install

I have Made changes, I got hammered initially by spammers
    I deleted them thru admin area then went to the data base and deleted the spam categories direct from the table

I now know this is the problem confirmed in this post

http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=8725

I nned a get outa Jail free card Here as I think its broken I need to reinstall the Data Base but think this could be a real problem

Thanks Bill008

About this Topic