The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

How do you deal with splogs right now? (9 posts)

1. deltakid
    Posted 15 years ago #

I read about splogs here and checked of course on Google and didn't find any definitive answer. Lunabyte said the renaming of wp-signup and wp-activate helped is that still true?

I just relaunched three mu powered sites and this is the first time I allow public registrations (before it was invitation only). I get 3-4 splog signups a day and this wouldn't bother me too much but because of the modifications I made on the system they could post to the front page of my sites. I obviously don't want that.

So how do you handle splogs right now?

2. DailyTestimony
    Posted 15 years ago #

1st I've implimented re-CAPTCHA into the signup process, this will stop automated splogs. Next I use a report blog link to allow people to report ones I don't catch.

Another thing I've seen mentioned here that I am working to impliment is community features such as recently updated blogs, sitewide feed, ect give splogs their viewers, since most spammers make 1 maybe 2 posts than move on to the next target, chage the queries used by what community features you have to only look at post with a post id > 3.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yes, renaming helps a LOT.
    I also moderate signups on one setup.
    Adding custom fields to signup works too.

There's tons of ways to go about it to stop them from even setting up on your system, before you can worry about blocking them from sitewide things.

4. DailyTestimony
    Posted 15 years ago #

hmm so you can rename those files without any adverse effects, I'll have to add that.

5. Bill008
    Posted 15 years ago #

Renaming wp-signup.php knocked out 99.99 %

Adding a security question took care of the rest!

Take this code and Name it signup_question.php

or what ever and put it in your mu-plugins folder

no problems yet have 14 blogs so far on it all seem ok before doing this 100 + a day

Download Signup Question

http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/Signup-Security-Question

go to admin back end and click on site admin it should be one of the choices

Bill007

`

6. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

A link to the plugin would have been sufficient.
    At the very least, use pastebin.

7. Bill008
    Posted 15 years ago #

Sure Lunabyte thought about that after I posted Ill get the link

8. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thank you.

9. deltakid
    Posted 15 years ago #

That sounds all good and easy to implement thanks!
    Its interesting that even though two of my sites are hosted on different servers they get almost simultaneously the same splog sign-ups. Seems I get hit via Google.

*Edit: If you want to rename your signup page just run a search and replace for wp-signup in it and it works all fine

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by deltakid
  • Latest reply from deltakid