The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Two Signup pages? One Standard and One to Append Word to Subdomain Name? (3 posts)

1. awarner20
    Posted 15 years ago #

I hope the title of this post makes sense. Here's the deal...

I have a subset of users that are creating blogs targeted toward their niche, baseball. They have created several blogs like baseball.mysite.com, baseballcards.mysite.com, etc. They want to create a community (on top of mysite.com), and start to encourage other baseball fans to create their own blogs.

They want to encourage these new blog owners to sign up using their names, like bobbaseball.mysite.com, georgebaseball.mysite.com, but they are asking if they can have the "baseball" automatically appended during the sign up process....AND to have this sign up page separate from my standard sign up page AND be made available only from their MAIN subdomain which would be baseball.mysite.com

So, basically, two wp-signup.php pages, one that works normally and one that appends the word "baseball" to whatever the user enters as the subdomain name.

If this can be done, I could create a custom template for the baseball.mysite.com blog that includes a link to a customized wp-signup.php page. Or, maybe I could hire a plugin developer to create a custom plugin?

My first thought was to suggest that they either build their own WPMU installation for their niche, or to let me build it for them. However, they seem set on using mysite.com as their base, and that's cool with me because it means more users;)

Any thoughts on this are greatly appreciated:)

2. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Somehow make the baseball.yoursite.com act like a separate MU install. :)

how? Dunno yet.

3. awarner20
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hmmm, I guess, but in my mind it would be just an additional wp-signup.php page (named something else of course), that inserts the word "baseball" after whatever the user has entered.

Hmmmm...

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by awarner20
  • Latest reply from awarner20