The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

WordPress MU 2.6 beta 1 (42 posts)

1. wehican
    Posted 15 years ago #

You are having wildcard DNS problems. They aren't worth the hassle just to get the blogname in front.

Where you have your mu install now kills the appeal of that kind of setup anyhow. Long URL. Create a subdomain and drop mu in the root of it with a subdirectory install. Will come out mu.bigdadgib.net/blogname. Works nicely.

Very attractive main site you have. Tallahassee is a pretty place. North Florida is class. Much nicer than where I came from. Miami.

2. wehican
    Posted 15 years ago #

I tried that wildcard subdomain route and there were just too many hurdles and restrictions with shared hosting. Some hosts required dedicated IPs and a second account or some don't do wildcards period.

Some of us are in this as a hobby, not as a business, so ease and cost of setting up is a rather large factor.

This is my site I put up recently. It ain't pretty, but it does work. I am a constructive personality, not a creative one. Hostmonster. Zero install problems with this latest release of 2.6. No hacking.

http://voices.ourlittleuniverse.org/

3. Guru06
    Posted 15 years ago #

2.6 is officially out today! Thats all I will say because I know you all are hard at work :)

4. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

See all the problems with it as well?

Patience is a virtue.

5. amanzi
    Posted 15 years ago #

Looking forward to the new release, will be doing some heavy testing over the next few days. I'm interested in the new SSL support that Wordpress 2.6 introduces.

Anybody looked at the SSL stuff to see how it could be used on a WPMU site with subdomains? Wildcard SSL certs are expensive so I'm picking WPMU owners won't be able to force SSL on the admin pages if using subdomains.

6. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

They really aren't that much, actually.

7. billdennis5
    Posted 15 years ago #

What I am seeing is that this version is essentially the WPMu version of WP 2.6.

8. bloggus
    Posted 15 years ago #

Well yes. Since yesterday it is merged with 2.6 and version changed in the files ... but not announced yet ... there is probably more testing and work on it ...

9. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

It's been merging with WP2.6 for a few weeks now, and when released will be MU 2.6, as stated in the opening post.

And yeah, it needs a little more testing.

10. billdennis5
    Posted 15 years ago #

I was running a 1.3. installation.

I started a NEW WPMu 2.5 RC 1 installation on a new server.

All seemed well.

I imported the rather large number of tables from previous installation.

I uploaded all the blogs.dir directories and files I needed for membefr blogs.

Then the following problems were noticed.

1. No member blog has any blogrolls, nor did they have any categories.

2. I STILL cannot create new Pages in the ftont level blog at blogpeoria.com. This is simply NO "publish" button. Existing Pages will not display on that blog, either. I tested this BEFORE I imported the tables, and I could create AND display Pages.

3. I am getting emails telling me tghere are comments in moderation. Other members are getting comments in moderation. But when we click on "comments" in the dashboard, no comments are listed, moderated or otherwise. Clicking on the "Awaiting Moderation" does not get a list to show either.

4. After I installed the new WPMu installation, I could set a Page as a static page, which was displayed to those who visited blogpeoria.com. That option has completely vanished upon importing the database.

11. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

Double posting is really bad form, as is bumping less than 24 hours later.

12. billdennis5
    Posted 15 years ago #

OK, sorry. I've kinda lost track of the time this week, due to all the problems

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by donncha
  • Latest reply from billdennis5