The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Introducing BlogStar.net (10 posts)

1. svkworld
    Posted 15 years ago #

Guys, checkout blogstar.net. Your feedback is most welcome!

Also -- any idea where the few blogs registered are coming from? it doesnt look like they are coming and registering to the site..... or are they?

2. svkworld
    Posted 15 years ago #

3. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

any idea where the few blogs registered are coming from?

They're splogs. (If you take a look at them, you'll note that they just link to other sites.) You probably should mark them as spam and get them out of there. Makes your site look bad.

edit: You have links to a help page on your site but it 404's.

reedit: Ditto on the tos and Privacy policies links.

"100's of themes" - You have tested all of them and made sure that they work, right?

rereedit: Your default links are to wp.com and wp.org? Why aren't they to your own site? That's like Walmart linking to KMart.

4. svkworld
    Posted 15 years ago #

thanks for the inputs, its not yet advertised, the wordpress links will goaway and 404s will be fixed... anyidea how to stop splogs automatically.. i think manual process would be huge task if the volume picks up....

5. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Additional concerns:

- Where's the documentation? You need to explain and teach your visitors how to do things on your site. A perfect example of this is you list adsense support but I'm sitting here trying to find where it is.

- How do you get help? Any support options? Support forums? Email?

- Features list? A image file that just lists stuff doesn't really explain much. wp.com has a decent features list if you want an example.

- Link to the main site in the theme's footers? Probably would be a good idea to support your own site and let visitors know who's doing the hosting.

- You changed the admin footer links which is good. How about the links in the admin header?

- What sets your install out from others? Right off it looks like a standard mu install with Farm's theme pack added in. There's no extras or even basic plugins added in. (edit: AMP as well. Please remember that the average person doesn't understand what a hexcode is.)

As to the splogs, please search the forums as it's been discussed at length.

As to the huge task, please review the "Is mu for me" sticky at the head of the forums. Running a mu task is a huge task and to be honest it looks like you have a ways to go.

Honest answer: Turn off registrations, spend a day or two writing up some docs with screen caps, get your mother in law juiced up, sit her down in front of a computer, and see how she does with it.

6. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Andrea has a list of mu installs here:

http://wpmututorials.com/wpmu-blog-hosts/

You may want to set up a few test accounts with some of them to see what other folks have done. You may see something that you may want to work into your own site.

7. demonicume
    Posted 15 years ago #

"That's like Walmart linking to KMart"

i'm stealing this line.

8. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Do you have to dress up for K-mart like you do wal-mart?
    reference

9. svkworld
    Posted 15 years ago #

tdjcbe, thanks for great feedback... hopefully will have everything polished in couple of weeks. Yeah I will turn of registration until then and hopefully that will block splogs.

thnx!

10. Anonymous
    Unregistered
    Posted 15 years ago #

Even if you turn off registrations you may find you'll still get comment spam / and splog pingbacks unless you make the site semi-private. My first ever test post was on a splog within an hour after setting up my first blog on a new mu site.

About this Topic