The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Invalid user and URL redirection (15 posts)

1. mrarrow
    Posted 15 years ago #

When trying to login to a blog as a user who DOESN'T specifically have access to that blog (but who DOES have a valid account on WPMU and has access to other blogs), the login fails (correctly), but then redirects the browser to 'http://wp-admin/'. This displays the default turquoise Apache success page.

Looking at the php, it should take them back to the wp-admin page of whichever site URL they were on. But it doesn't - and I don't know why! This behaviour seems to be the same across all our sites and for any user.

Any ideas?

I'm running Wordpress MU 1.3.3 on a VPS (cPanel, Apache setting up parked domains etc), MySQL 4.1.22 (standard)

2. MrBrian
    Posted 15 years ago #

It's probably an old bug and you should upgrade soon.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Someone can test it out on testdrivewpmu.com, that's pretty recent codebase. Just see if it does the same.

4. mrarrow
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks for the replies!

I wondered if it was something I may have got wrong in our DNS or VPS configuration that other people have already experienced.

I am looking at upgrading to 1.5 as we speak, as (unfortunately) I can foresee that MrBrian's response is going to become a standard forum reply to any problems encountered with any version of WPMU other than the latest one! ;-)

One of the joys of open source!

5. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Well, 1.6 is coming out real soon, so as far back as 1.3.3 is actually pretty outdated at this point. :)

6. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

Cough... it's MU 2.6 coming out soon. ;)

7. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

yeah yeah... slip of the fingers...

8. mrarrow
    Posted 15 years ago #

OK, so I've now upgraded to WPMU 2.6 and still have a similar (but not identical) problem.

When trying to login to a blog (123.domain.com) as a user who DOESN'T specifically have access to that blog (but who DOES have a valid account somewhere on WPMU) the login fails (correctly), but then redirects the browser to a completely different top level domain site (say monkeyboy.net - in this case the first domain I registered on WPMU) and takes me to a new login screen (http://monkeyboy.net/wp-login.php?redirect_to=http%3A%2F%2Fmonkeyboy.net%2Fwp-admin%2F.)

Typing in the same user/password combo then logs me in to monkeyboy.net - even though they shouldn't even have access to that site!

Now is that just me, or is that wierd?!?!

9. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

So you're using domain mapping as well?

10. mrarrow
    Posted 15 years ago #

If by domain mapping you mean allowing a user to map their blog to another domain, then no. All the domain stuff is done via our DNS server on our VPS (with wildcard aliases). All domains point to the same IP address on our WPMU installation and then we let WPMU map the domain to the correct blog.

We're not doing anything unusual with regard to this.

11. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

"All domains point to the same IP address on our WPMU installation and then we let WPMU map the domain to the correct blog."

Aaaaand that's what domain mapping is. Doesn't have anything to do with whetehrt he users can or not.

So - just to clarify - some of your sub-blogs have their own domain, yes? Because your example did have two different domain in it.

If so, then my original question can get a little more extensive. HOW are you doing that? A plugin? Manually?

Or joust pointing all the domains to the install and, and you've said, letting MU figure it out?

because if it's that last one, then yeah - that's why you're having issues. It's a bit more involved than that.

12. mrarrow
    Posted 15 years ago #

Ah, OK sorry andrea_r for my confusion!

OK, so all of our subdomain blogs always hang off one of the 11 top-level domains that we're hosting, in the format subdomain.topleveldomain.com. A subdomain never has a top level address, its always a subdomain of a TLD.

This is all being mapped by WPMU voodoo i.e. no plugins or anything outside of WPMU.

13. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Next question: is each domain a separate MU install?

14. mrarrow
    Posted 15 years ago #

No, each domain is on the same MU install.

In fact, I thought that was the whole point of WPMU? The fact that you can have one WPMU install managing multiple top level domains and multiple sub domains.

15. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Out of the box, MU is for ONE tld with various subblogs. See: wordpress.com.

I'm asking all these specific questions to see what your setup is like in detail to help troubleshoot your issue. The "weird" problem you have is indeed weird and should not be happening. The fact it is happening tells me there's something you forgot to do.

The fact that members are getting redirected back to the FIRST domain you set MU up on is the kicker for me. MU does not automatically know which sub-blogs belong to which TLD. You have to tell it either with the multiSITE manager plugin , or you have to go in the database and edit some fields to change the site_id for the extra domains to not be site_id_1.

So that's the reason users can actually login to the first domain - they are in fact associated with it.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by mrarrow
  • Latest reply from andrea_r