The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Link to discussion on WP forums- normal practice (6 posts)

1. pumpkinpatch
    Posted 15 years ago #

Quick question: I have posted a question on the WP forum regarding roles/capabilities. I think this is quite relevant and 'discussable' in WPmu Forums too.
    What is the normal practice around here- 1) Don't repeat the post here, 2) Just provide a link, 3) Provide Post text and link?

2. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

I'd just re-post it here.

I think the other forum likes to keep wp/wpmu conversations separate to lessen the confusion among n00bs.

3. pumpkinpatch
    Posted 15 years ago #

When a user with Editor role is given the additional capability of edit users- maybe by using a plugin (like Role Manager), the Editor becomes capable of promoting self to the role of Administrator. This problem was discussed extensively here, and the need for it to be corrected (in the core?) agreed upon.
    Anyone know where we stand on this?

I think this is relevant here at mu too because I can see situations where the owner of the site (Admin of the base domain) might want blogs/subdomains to have only Editor roles, but with "edit user" caps.
    What I find is that there is some resistance to calling (others might say stereotyping) roles as being superior or inferior, and hence prevent hierarchies. However, in the real world, there is always an Admin, and it is this person who assigns roles, or delegates responsibilities. Not every website is a Wikipedia.com ;)

4. pumpkinpatch
    Posted 15 years ago #

bump...

5. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Boy, you're asking the hard questions today... :D

where we stand? Well, I can only form an opinion based on observation. If it's fixed in WP, it'll get fixed in MU. haven't tested it in MU, since (I think) the Role Manager plugin doesn't quite work. (fuzzy on that)

There's definitely situations in MU where you'd want caps on editor levels.

6. pumpkinpatch
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks @andrea_r.
    The Role Manager plugin works for me- but I tried it out in a limited way, with blog by blog activation. Not sure about what will happen in other conditions.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by pumpkinpatch
  • Latest reply from pumpkinpatch