The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Possibly an id10t error! (htaccess issue???) (5 posts)

1. maconmacguy
    Posted 15 years ago #

..and the id10t would be ME!

Relatively recent install of WPmu. I ran into an issues where the php max_upload setting was too low, so I dove into the htaccess file (the standard one that comes with the install). I had forgotten that I had disabled it because it kept wordpress from working at all, and WPmu works fine without it (in my case, anyway!).

So I added a couple of lines (found on the web, of course) that suposedly changes it. Renamed the file .htaccess - and the site immediately died (server configuration error).

I dutifully removed the htaccess file - and the site came PARTIALLY back up.

You can see it at http://lww08.sc11.co.uk - the header image is gone, and none of the links work. I can get into wp-admin, but ONLY the first page.

Now, it feels like the URL rewrite rules in the htaccess file are still in effect (even though I only had it active for 3 minutes at most).

My "current working theories" are that
    1) Maybe a cache in Apache hasn't cleared yet, so if I wait long enough the problem will fix itself. It's been almost 24 hours, so the odds are not good.
    2) Is it possible that in those 3 minutes something got wonky in the database?

My big clue so far is that none of the internal links work - i.e. links to the different blogs.

Any ideas?

-----
    The REAL kicker (and yes, I am kicking myself on this one) is that I had web-editor access to the php.ini file anyway, so I could have avoided the whole situation by spending a whole 5 minutes reading through some tech support documents.

{sigh} - you'd think I'd learn!!!!!!!!!!

2. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Check your htacces against the htacces.dist that came in the download. Should also be a copy in your root folder. :)

the only line that change is the one about BASE. Take BASE out.

(they all belong to us anyway)

3. musnake
    Posted 15 years ago #

lol@a

You're showing your age, girl!

AYBABTU

4. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Oh, you have *no* idea. :D

5. maconmacguy
    Posted 15 years ago #

Success! WooHoo!

Exactly the problem. I hadn't run across the BASE issue before, but then again I don't dive into htaccess issues that much.

Thanks for the help.

.......and you probably don't have ANYTHING on me, age-wise!

; )

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by maconmacguy
  • Latest reply from maconmacguy