The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Domain mapping on (mt)Media Temple's (gs)Grid Share (13 posts)

1. mars-hill
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi, I'm a WPMU newbie.

Running WPMU 2.6RC1 on (mt)Media Temple's (gs)Grid Share. Everything's been quite smooth so far. I'm running into problems mapping a second domain however.

I'm using the site manager plugin and have used that to add chrishargreaves.co.nz to the list. I've had a look at the database and it seems to have worked well.

The domain name is with domainz.co.nz and the nameserver and IP addresses are pointed at media temple (taken from the KB article). However chrishargreaves.co.nz isn't resolving into anything: I'm just getting a server not found error page. The DNS changes were made long enough ago to ensure they should have propagated.

Are there any other steps I need to take to trouble-shoot or get this working?

Do I need to...
    * Add chrishargreaves.co.nz to my alternate domains listing on (mt)?
    * Change the htaccess file anywhere?
    * Create a chrishargreaves.co.nz directory (seems counter-intuitive)

Domain mapping is one of my primary reasons for switching to MU: I sure hope someone can help me out.

2. demonicume
    Posted 15 years ago #

make sure your blog_id and site_id are correct. double check your DB settings. this worked for me:
    http://bui4ever.com/web-itecture/wordpress_mu_with_domain_mapping

3. Trent
    Posted 15 years ago #

Make sure you add the domain as an addon domain in Media Temple DNS tool through your control panel. Don't create the domain with it's own folder as you want it to point at the main WPMU folder. If you create it on it's own, it will have a virtual host created for it and that will not work.

Trent

4. mars-hill
    Posted 15 years ago #

demonicume, trent: thanks.

I have double checked the DB; looks fine to me. I have added the domain as an add-on in Media Temple and haven't changed the default DNS register.

I'm now getting a 403 - Forbidden error when attempting to access the URI.

I'm going to try adding the wildcard DNS entry recommended in the tutorial above. Any other thoughts?

5. demonicume
    Posted 15 years ago #

did you park it on your mu-install?

6. mars-hill
    Posted 15 years ago #

No, unfortunately I cannot because it's a .co.nz domain (they only accept .com, .net, etc.)

It's parked with domainz.co.nz -- nameserver, etc pointed at media temple.

7. mars-hill
    Posted 15 years ago #

So yes, the domain is pointing at the MU install. As far as I can tell.

8. cafespain
    Posted 15 years ago #

If you are getting the forbidden error then you have pointed it correctly.
    Check the server and see if a directory for the domain was created under the domains directory.
    If it has then you need to remove that directory.
    Next look in the Media Temple knowledge base for the article that tells you how to set up and symbolic link to map another domain to an existing one.
    SSH into the server, follow those instructions and you'll be set.

9. mars-hill
    Posted 15 years ago #

Cafespain, thank you.

I had previously deleted the folder. I've followed the SSH instructions and set up the symbolic link.

Still getting 403's though.

[em]Everyone, thanks for your help. I'm still hoping to get this going so any other ideas are welcome[/em].

10. mars-hill
    Posted 15 years ago #

In another strange twist, accessing the (gs) page at
    http://chrishargreaves.co.nz.s465xx.gridserver.com/ gives me the following error message:

"No WPMU site defined on this host. If you are the owner of this site, please check Debugging WPMU for further assistance."

Since it's not a "regular" install, but rather a virtual folder the debugging page isn't much help.

Accessing chrishargreaves.co.nz still throws 403's.

Is it time for a complete re-install?

11. cafespain
    Posted 15 years ago #

Tis a doozy of a problem you have there. You could try removing the add-on domain and starting from that point onwards and see if it goes smoother.
    Or pop me a line and (if you feel comfortable) I'll pop in and have a quick look at it for you (and no I won't make any references to related Chubby Brown jokes)

12. cafespain
    Posted 15 years ago #

@mars-hill: Your all setup now mate, also sent you through an email.

13. mars-hill
    Posted 15 years ago #

Cafespain, you're a hero. Thanks so much.

For future readers, it seems the problem was I was setting up the symlink in the root folder rather than the "domains" sub-directory.

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions and time.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by mars-hill
  • Latest reply from mars-hill