The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Subdomains while testing (3 posts)

1. Anonymous
    Unregistered
    Posted 15 years ago #

Ok, I have a website http://www.domain.com that is pointing to a live site. I set up testing.domain.com to point to a different server which I set up WPMU. This new server hosting WPMU will be the new site, eventually. So my WPMU goes to testing.domain.com. I will be creating more blogs, but they are showing up as name.testing.domain.com. Before I get too far with people creating posts and what not, will I have a problem when I point www to this server? I want the additional blog addresses to be name.domain.com (vs. name.testing.domain.com as it is now).

What would be the best process to achieve this?

Thanks!

Dan

2. binh
    Posted 15 years ago #

I'm using the subdomains for my blogs. [edited]

And find that's already annoying because each time I add new subdomain I need to goto the cPanel and add a new record and ... you know what will happen when I move the server. So I suggest if you don't have wild-card subdomain function on your host, and if there might be too many blogs to handle, don't try to use subdomains for blogs.

And for the domain.com vs the testing.domain.com issue, I suggest you go for the domain.com now. It's testing, so don't give active links to it from somewhere accessible to search engine.

If you decide to use testing.domain.com you should bear in mind that latter on, moving the subdomains will be pain in the a.s.

If the test posts are not necessary, you might just put on testing.domain.com but instead of setting blogs as sub domains, you set them as sub folders instead.

Another solution to consider is to set up it using the sub domains, later on change your main blog url from testing.domain.com to domain.com and subsequently the URL of sub blogs. You can do this in the blog detailed options.

GOOD LUCK.

3. Anonymous
    Unregistered
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks Binh!

I have a wildcard set up in DNS so each new blog I create works fine after set up.

I would use it at www, vs. testing, but I'm going to be switching servers, so I don't want to install this on the old server nor do I want to point www to the new server since the site isn't ready yet.

The actual content isn't necessary right now, so I'm not really worried about content, yet.

Now that last suggestion is what I was sort of aiming for. When everything is all set up, if I can change the testing.domain.com to just domain.com, then my wildcard will still work, so the subdomains should still work, right? How will the subdomains work? If I define the main blog url as just domain.com, will the additional blogs in turn be name.domain.com? Will all the content still be retrievable from the database or will there be broken paths?

I set up a second blog, which was name.testing.domain.com. Blog and Admin works fine with this address. In the blog options, I changed the URL to remove testing, so the url was name.domain.com. The blog address took me to the blog, and also to admin, but I could not log in to admin.

Where do I change the main URL (from testing.domain.com to domain.com)? I looked in the config, but I didn't see it there...would it be in the database?

Thanks!

Dan

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by dgalfano
  • Latest reply from dgalfano