The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Using Wordpress as a News Portal (4 posts)

1. Anonymous
    Unregistered
    Posted 15 years ago #

I was hoping someone could possibly provide some direction on how I might achieve a concept I'd like to do with Wordpress MU.

Simply, I'd like to use Wordpress MU as a news portal site.
    The structure of the site would look something like:
    Home (Blog)
    - Major Category 1 (Blog)
    - Major Category 1 - Subcategory
    - Major Category 2 (Blog)
    - Major Category 2 - Subcategory

The place I am experiencing difficulties is integrating the multiple blogs together into a single master blog (site).

I'd like my entire site to have a news portal like feel. Perhaps using something like the Options theme? Each of my sub-blogs should report back to the primary blog.

For instance, say I had a Sports sub-blog. My Sports blog would probably have sub-categories of "Baseball", "Football", etc.

On my main news portal page I'd like to show the my latest sports posts per sub-category. Something like the MSNBC site.

I don't know if this can be done or not, but would be curious if anyone else has conquered such scenario.

2. dsader
    Posted 15 years ago #

First, install Donncha's sitewide tags plugin. That'll build an aggregator blog( rss feeds galore, sitewide tags/categories ... everything).

Now take one of two aproaches to pulling content from the tags blog to your home blog:

1. parse RSS feeds(category/tags feeds) from the tags blog wherever you like(you only get what comes in a feed though, lighter load). Easy to find code/plugins that'll do this for wp/wpmu templates. Use built in RSS widgets or more elaborately designed KQF plugin for example.

2. in your template's home.php use
    switch_to_blog($tags_blog_ID);
    ... THE LOOP ...
    restore_current_blog();" This will give you full control over how the aggregated posts appear in their "home base."

3. Anonymous
    Unregistered
    Posted 15 years ago #

@dsader - thanks for the response. I'll give those suggestions a try.

4. awarner20
    Posted 15 years ago #

@dsader,

Thank you for posting this. I have just installed and configured Donncha's sitewide tags plugin and also the KQF plugin.

A very slick combination!

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by dgladfelter
  • Latest reply from awarner20